Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi
Ok, I have double checked my computer for any remaining pictures/videos/documents I may want and think I have everything on the flash drives. So I am ready to go to the next step with your help.
Thanks

Advertisements

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
You mentioned : run hard drive diagnostic. The www address you mentioned. How do I enter this address? Using pulu. Also went to imgburn just to see what it looked like. To download file it said something about allowing it to change settings or something on my computer. Not knowing exactly what that would do or meant I said no then it wouldn't let me download. (just thought I would get a cd made just in case I needed it)

Just another question. Now that I have all my pictures/videos on flash drives I would like to back them up in case they failed or something happened to them. Thought about putting them on cd/DVD. Since they have so much info on them (16gb) full, how would I do this. Figured 1 cd/DVD wouldn't hold it all. If while transferring, 1 cd got full, would putting another blank cd in mess up transfer. thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A normal dvd is only 4.7 gigs with a writing space of about 4.3 gigs.
You would need 4 of them to get everything.
cd's forget it you would need at least 14 of them to get it all.
The changes made by imgburn are nothing to worry about and most likely registry entries so that the program will run.
As far as the addy for the hd diagnostics you would enter it like any other addy.
www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry what is an addy. So I turn broke computer on then where do I go. Without putting pulu disk in it just would probably go into checking file segments again. When first turning it on do I hit F2 or what so that I can enter the site in your text. Thankd

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What computer are you using to respond to me here?
The url for the hd web site is what I posted in my last post. See the type in red? That is the internet address to get to the hd diagnostic page. It is just like you coming here www.geekstogo.com
That is our addy.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am still using my iPhone Internet connection. I do have access to my daughters computer. So I get on her computer and put in web address you gave me to run hard drive diagnostic?
Sorry doesn't make sense to me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes go to the site, download the correct diagnostics and then run it on your system.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Trying to figure things out. Wow.
In imgburn when I hit the download button something pops up at the bottom of the screen that says this type of file could harm your computer
Should I go ahead and download it. It also says do I want to run or save it. Which one
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Save it and that is the default warning you get when downloading any type of exe file. All the links we post are safe especially if it is a file located here at GTG.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Don't know if I did it correctly but I have the disk in hard drive. Shows at top. Sea tools for dos.
Shows drive list.
Model ID: wcd wd1600aajs-07psao
Serial no: wd-wcap97181720
Revision: 05.06h05.
Test progress: idle
Test results: ( nothing is there. It is blank)

That's it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you reboot the system so it boots to the cdrom?

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
??
I started computer
Hit F2
Checked boot position and it was in CDROM still
Opened cd drawer put cd on it
Hit ok
Then computer screen came up showing sea tool
It ran its thing and the info that came up was what I sent you

Went back into the img burn site looking to see if I did things right. You mentioned in earlier texts that make sure I selected write image or something. That didn't come up in download process. On the imgburn site now and what is infrarecorder. It's on the page when I'm in this site. I downloaded some sort of cd burner. Not sure if it is the right one. There are so many ads on that same page. Has probably 2-3 different things saying download.
The icon on the desktop reads burncddd. So I'm not sure if it's the right one

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is the right one. When you start it you will have to chose the ISO file you downloaded so it will burn. Use default settings as it will make the cd bootable on it's own.
I think you need to change the boot sequence in the bios to make it work correctly.
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the Seatools cd in the drive before all this.

Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help. You should be given a choice of running a basic or extended(advanced) test. You want the advanced.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok
Hitting delete took me to same screen as hitting f2 which I had previously done.
Across top of screen I have:
Main advanced. Security. Power. Boot. Exit

Hitting advanced it has
Boot configuration
Drive configuration
Event log configuration
Video configuration
USB configuration

Going to boot configuration shows : USA enable bit and fan control Both enabled.

If I go over to boot at top of screen it shows:
Boot device priority
Hard disk drives
Removable devices
Atapi cd-rom drives

In boot device priority it shows:
1st boot device. 4m-hl-dt-st. Rw/DVD Gcci.
2nd boot Pm-wcd. Wd1600aajs-07ps
3rd boot. Generic USB ad reader
4th boot. Iba fe slot 0148 v410

Hitting any of the boot devices brings no directions to follow
Maybe I'm in the wrong place I see no c or main drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

1st boot device. 4m-hl-dt-st. Rw/DVD Gcci.
2nd boot Pm-wcd. Wd1600aajs-07ps

1st boot device is your cdrom
2nd boot device is your hard drive.

being the boot sequence is set properly you should not have to hit anything when starting. The ISO image if burnt correctly should take over and all you would need to do is to tell it to run the advanced test.