Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Ghost 9 problem/XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Greetings!
A friend of mine bought (not pirated) Ghost 9 (it came bundled with System Works) and he has no problem saving a backup image. When he boots from the CD in rover mode, neither his Boot drive OR the drive that he backed up are viabale.

Both drives (source and destination) are 120, 150 GB Respectively. The image is only 45 GB.
Both drives are SATA.
Both drives are formatted with NTFS.

I was told that the SATA drivers need to be updated in order to "read" the recover program (because it is in DOS). I am in the dark, since I have never used Ghost; he ws also told by either Dell or Norton tech support to flash his BIOS!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

GL

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Not sure if you have already seen this:

Ghost compatibility with Intel 865 chipsets and Serial ATA drives

Maybe the switches are still usable?

Workaround
Depending upon the mix of SATA and IDE drives installed to your system, one of the following switches should resolve the problem:
If you have an IDE and an SATA drive, or only IDE drives:
-FNI Forces Ghost to use the BIOS to gain access to the IDE drive.
If you have an SATA drive and no IDE drives:
-NOIDE Disables access to IDE devices.

Hope it helps.

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Metallica -
According to the site, "Before you begin: If you are using Norton Ghost 2003, the latest LiveUpdate includes the fix for this issue. To run LiveUpdate for Ghost 2003, open the program and then click LiveUpdate."
He did run Live Update, but not only that, if he runs the switch:

If you have an SATA drive and no IDE drives:
-NOIDE Disables access to IDE devices.

The site also mentions this:
"Disables access to IDE devices. This is equivalent to -fni for IDE disks, but noide also affects ATAPI CD writers, tape drives and other IDE devices."

His DVD ROM and RW are IDE (I think), and it what he will use to go into revoery mode (CD, not a floppy). If we disable IDE devices from being seen by Ghost, won't we have a simular but much worse problem?

Thanks again

GL

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I found this: http://forum.msi.com...?threadid=68565
but I must admit that most of it is way over my head.
Maybe you know what they mean.

Regards,

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the link, I have read that forum before I posted; I will obtain the info required to fix this soon. I don't think that he is using RAID, but his MoBo is setup for it; since he using dual SATA drives, it (the BIOS settings) may have defaulted.

Thanks for your help; as always, I'll post the outcome so that we can all benefit.

Tim

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Greetings -

Here are the BelArc results:

Maxtor 6Y120M0 [Hard drive] (122.94 GB) -- drive 1
ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.00 GB) -- drive 0

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 156.41 GB 97.95 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 1) 122.93 GB 22.35 GB free

279.34 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
120.30 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Intel® 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller

The thing is, we have already ran Live Update, but the AHCI setting; is it set as RAID 0 as default? He did not enable RAID at all, and since both drives are represented, doesn't that mean RAID was no enabled?

Thanks in advance!

Ps:
When I tried to download the latest patch(es), when I select the version, I get the message that No updates available for Download. Am I to understand to Symantec will not 'allow' a user that may be running RAID 0 (SATA drives at least) to use Ghost 9.0?

Green

Edited by hal_jordan, 06 June 2005 - 11:05 AM.

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
All -
Ghost 9.0 does not play well with SATA drives; since the Recovery disk is on a CD, we would have to obtain the neccessary drivers to 'see' the drive, insert them into the dumped ISO, reburn this new ISO onto a CD and try it.
This drive is not IDE, only SATA, so we are going to try True Image.
Why would Norton do this?

Thanks everyone!

Green