1) Downloaded ADVANCED SYSTEM OPTIMIZER
2) Ran all the scans and such and fixed items as required.
3) Found that there were not major problems with my computer. EXAMPLE: YouTube videos would run for 3 seconds and load for 15 seconds and continue doing that.
4) Tried everything I knew of to correct the problem, but no positive results.
5) Contacted a support number within the OPTIMIZER software.
6) The technician then had me allow remote control of my computer.
7) He reputably told me that the problems were already existing in my computer from what I call INFECTIONS – items that I did not want but were from internet activity. An infection to me is like a COOKIE – I didn’t ask for it but it is there. However, COOKIES are not a problem of course.
8) He found almost 5, 000 of these items. He also showed me that there were a lot of WINDOWS processes that were not active and should be. Probably 20 or 30 or more.
9) He continued to tell me that these were my problem even after informing him that I was running System 7 on a less than 2 year old computer (64 bit) and have never hand any problems at all.
10) I continued to tell him that I did not think that was the problem. He then cleaned the system of some of the items, but could not clean others and said that it would take a MICROSOFT CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN to fix my computer and then went to a site that had a one year program for 200 dollars.
11) I informed him that I was retired on Social Security and could not afford such a cost.
12) When he said that no virus program or utility or cleaner or optimizing program could hand these problems, I decided this was starting to look very much like a FORCED BUY where a company puts a virus in that tells you that you are infected and to get rid of it you must purchase certain software.
Though I do not believe ADVANCED SYSTEM OPTIMIZER is a scam, I know for a fact that it was the problem as when I did an uninstall (though I know it may have not uninstalled every part of it), my computer was back to normal.
Since I do know a little about computers, and there were some minor problems initially after the uninstall, I was able to correct those as well.
I think though, that the service number I called, was from a part of the program that is somehow associated with OPTIMIZER.
QUESTION: I would like to know if these Windows programs that are not running should be, if the INFECTIONS he showed me should be eliminated, and if I truly need a SUPER CERTIFIED MICROSOFT TECHNICIAN?