Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DO I NEED A CERTIFIED MICROSOFT TECHNICIAN

• Please log in to reply

thegene

thegene

• Pip
  • 1 posts
WHAT HAPPENED

1) Downloaded ADVANCED SYSTEM OPTIMIZER
2) Ran all the scans and such and fixed items as required.
3) Found that there were not major problems with my computer. EXAMPLE: YouTube videos would run for 3 seconds and load for 15 seconds and continue doing that.
4) Tried everything I knew of to correct the problem, but no positive results.
5) Contacted a support number within the OPTIMIZER software.
6) The technician then had me allow remote control of my computer.
7) He reputably told me that the problems were already existing in my computer from what I call INFECTIONS – items that I did not want but were from internet activity. An infection to me is like a COOKIE – I didn’t ask for it but it is there. However, COOKIES are not a problem of course.
8) He found almost 5, 000 of these items. He also showed me that there were a lot of WINDOWS processes that were not active and should be. Probably 20 or 30 or more.
9) He continued to tell me that these were my problem even after informing him that I was running System 7 on a less than 2 year old computer (64 bit) and have never hand any problems at all.
10) I continued to tell him that I did not think that was the problem. He then cleaned the system of some of the items, but could not clean others and said that it would take a MICROSOFT CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN to fix my computer and then went to a site that had a one year program for 200 dollars.
11) I informed him that I was retired on Social Security and could not afford such a cost.
12) When he said that no virus program or utility or cleaner or optimizing program could hand these problems, I decided this was starting to look very much like a FORCED BUY where a company puts a virus in that tells you that you are infected and to get rid of it you must purchase certain software.

Though I do not believe ADVANCED SYSTEM OPTIMIZER is a scam, I know for a fact that it was the problem as when I did an uninstall (though I know it may have not uninstalled every part of it), my computer was back to normal.

Since I do know a little about computers, and there were some minor problems initially after the uninstall, I was able to correct those as well.

I think though, that the service number I called, was from a part of the program that is somehow associated with OPTIMIZER.

QUESTION: I would like to know if these Windows programs that are not running should be, if the INFECTIONS he showed me should be eliminated, and if I truly need a SUPER CERTIFIED MICROSOFT TECHNICIAN?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Let me guess he would fix it and give you a one year service package for $200 .. It wouldn't happen to be Iyogi would it ?

As for windows processes, they are actually things that run on your system as required, so if they are not running they are not required
Did he also open event viewer and show you lots and lots of errors and warnings with dire consequences if not remedied ?

My best advice would be .. Do not call them again and if you are having problems then ask either here or any other reputable online forum

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hello thegene and welcome to GeeksToGo.

No you don't need a Microsoft Certified Technician. What you were shown were normal entries in event viewer and services that they use to scare people into buying these services. This is a scam similar to the Ammyy Scam. If you google "Ammyy Scam" you'll see how wide spread it is.

In one case I encountered, the scammer put a password on the victims computer when he wouldn't cough up the $200 so that the next time he booted up he couldn't access anything. The scammer was bold enough to phone back twice asking for the money to reveal the password. I hope they didn't do that to you. Do not reboot your pc until you check to make sure they didn't password yours.