Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to restore factory settings, but lost the disc

• Please log in to reply

afrit

afrit

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Forgive me if I'm posting on the wrong forum thingy or whatever, but I figured this was more of a windows issue than virus issue...

I have windows 7 for a Compaq presario CQ62, and I need to restore it to factory settings.
I don't know if this is relevant, but the reason I would like to restore it is I have been flooded with viruses ever since I let my cousin
use it once, and I have had it restored several times, after which it will usually be fine until I let some one else use it. I am tired of
having to send it in, but do not have the disc. If you could tell me some super awesome hacker code to reset it (or something simpler)
that'd be awesome.

Also, I don't know if this is relevant (it is the reason I didn't know if this belonged under windows or virus) but I currently have Norton anti-virus, and am being informed of these
viruses by an anti virus program I do not own. Norton anti virus is not detecting these viruses, and the program I do not own is telling me it is not
safe to use the internet, so i would prefer not to have to (I'm currently using my tablet). Thanks for helping :-)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Restoring won't resolve the issue if the virus is still on the hard drive. If the system is running other then the virus notices I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

There is no reason to pay to have a infection removed or for help when we are here for free. :thumbsup:

afrit

afrit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you, but while I'm here, could you tell me how to reset it and save me a future trip to this site (,if its not too much trouble,)?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Factory reset instructions. As I said if it is a infection sometimes even this will not fix it.
reboot and when you see the compaq logo hit F10
This should get you to the recovery partition if it is on the hard drive.

afrit

afrit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, thank you so much, this has been so much easier than all that other BS they say I have to do!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hopefully it will restore the system back to factory but I am still worried about a hidden infection.

afrit

afrit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your concern, but I believe it will be fine. Like I said, this only happens when I let my cousin use it, so he must be getting in to something bad. I'll do the reset and talk to my cousin and if anything else comes up, we'll know you were right, in which case, I'll take further actions. Thanks again! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK just remember you don't have to take it to a shop when your friendly Geeks To Go are right here to help you out for free. :thumbsup: