Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

10 mins from bios to os boot

• Please log in to reply

nept

nept

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi

As this is my 3rd trouble-thread in like half a year, I first want to make clear, that I'm not a professional who wants to get advice here! For some reason 2012 is the year of broken computers for my beloved ones. First my mom, then my sister, now my best friend. I usualy can fix everything on my own, but this is just another issue that is way above my head. I'm sorry for making yall bussy on the boards. Thanks so much for all your help!!!

A week ago my friend showed up with her laptop, saying it's booting extremly slow after installing something called "AVG Secure". First I thought that this caused all the issues. So I made sure windows, drivers etc. got updated, scaned the whole comp completely with both mbam and avast. I uninstalled several toolbars etc. The comp now looks clean to me and actually once it's finished booting, it is working perfectly fine. Windows runs like it should.

The booting issue still remains tho:

- Sony Vaio logo
- Black screen 10 mins (sometimes plain black, sometimes either of two different cursors blinking top left)
- Windows boots perfectly fine

I always thought windows was stuck at some point when booting. So I made some further investigations. At some point I tried to show the boot menu (hit f8 before windows boots to show stuff like starting in safe mode etc.). I then realized that f8 only works after ~10 mins, means most likely windows doesn't even boot, but the bios or whatever there is in between the POST and the actual boot waits 10 mins or tries to do something for 10 mins for whatever reason.

So I entered the Sony laptop's bios to make the bios output show up, but there was no option. That's where I'm stuck.

I'm completely lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I just spent an hour of reading on google and I'm really unsure if this isn't a windows issue after all... If you think so, feel free to move this thread or close and make me repost.

Edited by nept, 18 July 2012 - 04:38 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What OS are you dealing with?

nept

nept

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Windows 7 64bit

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You might try a Startup Repair and see if that will resolve the issue.

Tutorial on how to do a Startup Repair in Win7 located HERE.