Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Online Armor Update Message: Corrupt File

• Please log in to reply

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
he said something about copying the files to the desktop then deleting them, I don't see how that would fix it but I'll never be a geek. :(

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Never say never. I started out some 15 years ago when I bought my wife her first system. Up to that point I didn't know a computer case from a monitor. I was intrigued and started playing with the inside taking it apart and putting it back together. I got hooked and have been learning ever since. I should have gone to school for computers but I watched and everything I know I learned on my own.
Like riding a bike for the first time alone. You don't know what you can do till you try it. :thumbsup:

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I appreciate the confidence, though you may not remember I dropped out of GeekU. :oops: THAT was very embarrassing and disheartening, but I had too much stress with it. :( Meanwhile I'm doing my best to maintain my system and I know where to go when I need help. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Dropping out is not dishonorable but something you had to do for yourself. No shame in that I assure you.

Meanwhile I'm doing my best to maintain my system and I know where to go when I need help. :thumbsup:

Never feel like you can't get assistance form us because that is why we are here. No question will make us think you are not trying your best but only have run into a road block where a extra set of eyes will always help resolve the issue. I have helped others with several topics at the same time so don't feel like this one issue is taking my time as I said we are many and willing to help. :cool:

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I really appreciate all you do here and the people helping me are wonderful. While I was reading messages I re-read what was said about deleting those files and I realized what he was saying, to make a copy of the files to the desktop in case deleting them caused problems. Now it makes sense, It was an "Aha!" moment. :D

Edited by blueblue, 22 July 2012 - 05:45 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There ya go. Always always always make a copy before deleting any type of file like these. If something goes wrong you can restore them easily and quickly.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Today I will search for the files, copy them to the desktop, delete them, run a fix with OTL, and hope for the best. Essexboy says he can help me with the spybot problem, too. I've been telling people about this site; how wonderful and helpful people are. The BEST advertising is through word of mouth, (and keyboards). :thumbsup:

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Hello. My situation has gotten worse, it's not the techie's fault but the stress has gotten to me and I will be quitting the internet in a few months. Thank you for all your help. This techno stuff has run me ragged- it's not worth the trouble anymore. A vacation from it is what I need. I doubt I'll return, but I guess I can't say never, though I really want to quit forever, unless a drastic change for the better happens. I can't get my hopes up anymore. You have been wonderful to me, and I will always remember your kindness.

The net has been an amazing adventure, taking me to places I never knew of, and meeting people I never could have met, but it's time to let it go because it's too much of a hassle for me and I have no one to help me unless I stay online and come here every time some idiot decides to have a little fun and plant something I can't get rid of. Some people just don't know how to have fun without hurting others. I hope they all get what they deserve.

I can't keep reformatting my system, it's too much work, and I'm not knowledgable enough.. I can't afford to pay people to do it for me. If I can't learn how to do it, I will just give it up..

This situation is unacceptable, the idea that we have to compromise onething for another.

Well, I just wanted you to know. So far the situation is still unresolved.

If no one hears from me, it's because I can't get online and decided to not bother with it anymore.

Edited by blueblue, 25 July 2012 - 03:53 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry to hear this has not been resolved and especially that the whole situation has caused you so much stress. Please take care of yourself and if you ever want to return for help please know we are here to help anytime. Thank you for be so patient with us and for hanging in there as long as you did. I personally want to apologize if anything I have instructed you to do has caused more harm and stress to you and your system. This is never my intention and I apologize from the bottom of my heart. :(

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
You have been wonderfu. There's no eed to apologize, though I appreciate the sentiment. Thank you for your Kindness. I will always remember. :)

Advertisements

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Well, so far nothing has come up, I got Dr Web and it didn't find anything, will do a complete scan just to see, I ran TDSSKiller again last night too but couldn't find the log for the threats it found when the ms tech ran it. This must be as frustrating for Essexboy as it is for me. He's been very kind and patient.

I know something's wrong, that alert still pops up, and I can't install some ms patches without making my computer malfunction. Maybe reformating will work, but the big question is, will it remove whatever's gotten in? I know there's no guarantee it will.

This is a wonderful site. Thanks to all of you for being here. :thumbsup:

Edited by blueblue, 26 July 2012 - 01:59 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The one way to make sure is to take the ultimate step. Blow away the main partition, reset it up, format it using nTFS and then do a fresh install of the OS.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
whoa you're talkin' way over my head. If I knew how and was sure of doing it right, I would gladly do it. The next few days will be busy for me so I won't have the time to play with it. I thought those things would be reset to their default condition during the reformatting process anyway. That area I don't understand well enough to touch. :(

As soon as time allows, I'll be studying some instructions I bookmarked about reformatting and the prepearation for it. I have a Windows 7 for Dummies book, paid a lot for it, too, but I don't remember if it has any instructions about that. There's a Windows 7 forum site I peeked at, I think I mayve bookmarked something from there. Of course I'll look at the info on this site, too, but it may be awhile till I can get to it. If I think I'll be unable to do anything with my computer for awhile, I'll let you and Essexboy know that, too, though I have a feeling I may be unable to till some time next week.

If I can muster up the patience to try doing this myself, I'd love to try reformatting my computer. When I have enough time to devote to it, I will come back and let both of you know I am ready. I may peek in and look for instructions to bookmark and print out if the book doesn't have the info. So far I have a couple of sites bookmarked but haven't had the time to read.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem we will be here when you are ready again.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi, I am back and hoping to fix this computer, though I won't be on as much as I was before. One of my problems is I did something that messed up my use of my external disc drive and without that I am in trouble. I tried transferring the missing dll file but it wouldn't copy. I deleted it accidentally and looked for it on the other machine I also use the drive on. I clicked on a link I saw in a post Essexboy made about reformatting, but I don't have a file the link needs, seems I forgot to do something when I first got this machine, so I am in trouble. If I could reload Windows, maybe that might fix it? Essexboy closed my case as being solved so I PM'd him to ask if he could reopen it. When I said I'd need a break from this,, he said I may PM hm if he closed the thread, so I did. If he's too busy, I'm sure I can find someone to help me. I don't know if my computer will reboot from an external hard drive. I have to do some reading to see how to find out if it will or not. Now that I had a rest from this thing I'm ready to work on it and get it fixed. He gave me a link to a program that will make a USB to be bootable but I can't figure it out. Maybe now that my stress is lessened, I can try that again.