Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overload! Pics storing in 2 programs and on 2 drives

• Please log in to reply

blue.moon

blue.moon

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

I'm having a problem with how my pictures are being stored to my hard drive, and which programs they're in as well. Btw, I have Vista Home Premium OS.

When I download pics from an SD card, I would like them to be stored in the D drive only and only in a Kodak Easyshare program I also have. However, I now notice they are being automatically stored in BOTH the C:\ and D:\ drives - in Easyshare on both drives as well as in Windows Photo Gallery! They obviously, they take up lots of space (unnecessarily) and, because I download a lot of pics for my job, this has become a monstrous and annoying issue, sucking up a huge chunk of both of my drives. Like I said, I would like them stored on my D:\ drive only; I have my computer set to open them automatically in a "Kodak Easyshare" program when they download.

Today, when I noticed a considerable percentage of both of my drives - C & D - used up, I investigated. I opened "Kodak pictures" on the C:\ drive (because it was there as well as on the D:\ drive), and deleted some pics to see what would happen when I did. Not only were deleted from C but also from D (which I was hoping wouldn't happen). I'm not savvy enough to know if this is yet a 3rd storing location on my computer but ... apparently I can also open any and all of my pictures in Windows Photo Gallery as well.

So ... when I download pics from an SD card, they seem to get stored in the Easyshare program on BOTH the C drive and D drive, as well as in Windows Photo Gallery. 3 places.

To be honest, I believe I've had this problem for months and months ... and months; and at some point quite a while ago I think a kid I know fixed the issue for pics already stored, but he didn't fix it permanently OR at the least he didn't tell me how to clean this up myself in the future. I wish so much I could fix this myself but, I need you techies to help me if you could please. I'm not smart enough to build a computer, but with clear, helpful instructions, I can definitely follow directions, take notes, and (with a little hope) learn.

Thanks much!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First step is to open Kodak and go to options or preferences. Look for where it saves files probably under files or options. If you can get a screenshot it would help us to instruct you from there.

blue.moon

blue.moon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK - attached a screenshot. Let me know if this is the right one (but I think I see the issue). I'll save my q's until you reply ...

blue.moon

blue.moon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Here it is

Attached Thumbnails

• kodak save screen.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see it is saving it to the C drive but I don't see anything else. What were you thinking the issue is? :confused:

blue.moon

blue.moon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, I really would like it if they were not saved to the C drive, at all - only to D ... and I guess I can't understand how they're being saved on both C & D, in Windows Photo Gallery (which I NEVER use) and also in Easyshare. I'm not sure of the issue, but I know I have 2 or 3 copies of the same pic in different places in my OS.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok in the pic you attached you can change the place you want them saved by clicking on the browse button and picking where you want them to save. Choose D drive and a folder you want them in and it should auto save to that. You may have to check the other programs you use and make sure they all point tow the same folder on the D drive to save everything to.

blue.moon

blue.moon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK, I changed the location to transfer them to to D:\lisa\pictures. I HOPE that's a Kodak location, because before I changed it, it was saving to C:\user\public\kodak pictures or something like that.

Now I guess my question is ... how can I clean up what's already been saved in multiple locations? As I mentioned in the OP, when I delete the pic in the C drive, it's automatically deleting in the D drive and that's not good. However, having the pic stored on both C and D is really not good either. I'm trying to free up HD space on C, that was my original goal and still is ... but how do I do that without sacrificing what's (properly as I see it) stored on the D drive?

Thanks for your help Ron!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since it appears the issue is when you delete it on C it deletes every where then what about deleting it in the other locations and then move the folder from the C drive to the location you setup earlier? If not the whole folder then just the contents to the new location?

blue.moon

blue.moon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
That's a good idea ... let me try that and see if it works. Hopefully I can do this by folder (vs. each pic) since there's so many! I'll let you know ...