Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Icon Layout Reset

• Please log in to reply

Xtreme930

Xtreme930

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I have a minor, yet, annoying problem with my Desktop and my icon configurations. It seems that if I refreshed my desktop, my icons are forced to push on the left side of the computer. The problem also occurs when I shutdown and start it back up and restart the device but it doesn't happen when I sleep or hibernate it. Resolution changes for whatever reason, such as gaming, does not create this problem neither, any answers and suggestions? Thanks!

Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
Model: Asus U35JC

,Xtreme

Edited by Xtreme930, 19 July 2012 - 10:40 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I use a program called DesktopOK to manage my Desktop icons. Works great for me.

Xtreme930

Xtreme930

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Yes, I know there are programs out there, but, I do not want to use any third party program to fix my desktop icons. I came here to look for a permanent solution to this problem and not having to see it all shift to the left side every time I turn on my computer.

,Xtreme

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Xtreme930...

Right click on the desktop and mouse over "View". If "Auto arrange icons" is selected, deselect it and see if your problem persists.

wannabe1

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You want a permanent solution, DesktopOK is one. I'm not sure why you don't want to use it but that is surely your choice.

I would start by looking at what programs are running on your system, especially what starts at boot time. It's possible one of them is causing the icon scramble. Here is a writeup I use to help folks identify startup caused problems.

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Xtreme930

Xtreme930

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Auto arrange isn't on.

Xtreme930

Xtreme930

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I don't like using third party programs as a solution unless I necessarily have to. Too much programs everywhere is not very clean.

Xtreme930

Xtreme930

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Case Closed

Essexboy helped me solve this problem through using OTL.exe Scan and Fix.. Thanks all!