Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could I use 2TB external hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

nihon94

nihon94

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Computer: Dell XPS M1530

I wonder if I could use 2TB external hard drive?
Actually there is a sale of Transcend 2TB StoreJet 35T
and I thought I should buy this product.

Any advice and suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No reason you can't use it as long as you setup the partition or partitions correctly and format them using NTFS.

nihon94

nihon94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
There is only C drive on my computer.
Am I suppose to do partitions/format on External hard drive?

Can I just plugin and use external drive?

Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The external drive will have to be setup just like any other drive. Without a partition or partitions setup and then formatted you have nothing more then a paper weight.
It would be no different then adding a second internal drive. It will be seen but can't be used till everything is done in order.

nihon94

nihon94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

The external drive will have to be setup just like any other drive. Without a partition or partitions setup and then formatted you have nothing more then a paper weight.
It would be no different then adding a second internal drive. It will be seen but can't be used till everything is done in order.

On one website in English I found the following information about that hard drive.
My link

Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good external drive and I've been thinking about purchasing one myself. You can't go wrong with the extra storage space and the fact being a external you can use it on any system with Windows on it.

nihon94

nihon94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Good external drive and I've been thinking about purchasing one myself. You can't go wrong with the extra storage space and the fact being a external you can use it on any system with Windows on it.

Thank you for guidance in right direction. In past I had purchased Buffalo drives but not Transcend.
In sale it is under 100 US$.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.