Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connect 3.5 internal floppy to pci port

• Please log in to reply

drsue

drsue

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a new mother board that has no connection for my old 3.5 floppy (ide). I have an empty pci port. What driver/cable do I need to connect this? Win XP, ASUS M5A 78l_m LX PLUS mother board.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you have is old technology and you would be better off looking at a USB floppy drive like this one HERE.
It would be external and the good thing is if you don't need it you just use the safely disconnect command like you would for a flash drive.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You could see if you could get an IDE controller board which would allow you to directly connect the existing drive that you have, but as was said, it is most likely a better option to just get a USB floppy drive. The USB floppy drive will most likely be cheaper than the IDE controller.

If you search for "pcie ide controller" on newegg.com (just an example of a place that sells items), you will find controllers which should work in your machine (assuming that you have space). Your machine lists expansion slots of: 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16, 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 x PCI. The prices range from $19.98 to $56.97. There also could be issues with the drivers since you are running XP.

You would also need to look to see if you can mount your floppy drive internally.

BTW, I am in the same position as you, although I have an older machine which still has a floppy. Sooner or later I will buy an external USB floppy. With the USB floppy, you can use it on multiple machines, which makes it much more useful, especially if you have a notebook computer or plan to get one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Checking the layout of the motherboard I did not see any internal floppy controller included.