Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Writer Does not recognize CD for burning

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Window XP Service Pack 3 My CD writer does not recognise when I insert a blank CD into it for burning a new CD. Also does not recognise proviously burned CD's from this drive.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about a retail cd?
Is it a dvd\cdrom or just cd?
Does the drive show up in My Computer?

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Does Not read retail CD. It is a DVD R/RW. Drive does show up in My Computer as E Drive - I have an F Drive that is also a DVD R/RW that works fine. Sorry for the delay in my response - been out of town.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem as real life takes priority over a lot.
Will it read retail dvd's?

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Wow! Great question and the answer is yes it will! Progress :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well actually that could mean that the cd read part of the laser is malfunctioning.
Since it won't read a retail disk that is readable in the other drive I am guessing it verifies the drive is faulty. Try a retail cd that you tried in defective drive in the other drive you have installed. Let me know if it reads it.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
The CD is readable in the other (F Drive) but continues to be not found in the defective (E drive) -- Sounds like bad news for me! :angry:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep replacement drive needed but the good news is they have come down a lot in price. Can you tell me the make of the drive and I will see what I can find for you. Do you have a preference to what brand and what would your budget afford? :thumbsup:

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I'll probably go with an external DVD drive - thinking about a Samsung ( at Amazon for around $30). Not sure what brand is in the CPU at this time. Thanks for your help. Let me know if you need anyother info :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NewEgg has several Samsung's starting at 29.99 with free shipping HERE

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and please let me know if there is more I can assist you with. :thumbsup: