Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brother Printer says offline when it's on.

• Please log in to reply

slippybippy

slippybippy

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have windows XP on several computers on our wireless network. We recently switched to Verizon Fios and Internet, where we had to install their router. After that installation, and after connectng our wireless Brother MFC-495CW printer to the wireless network, the printer won't show as online even though the computer is on. We can't print even though it says it's connected to our new network router.

Any Ideas?

Our port address says BRWC417FEB4E154 and it is a standard tc/ip port name, and the name of our printer is there.

In the printer and faxes page, our printer is there and does have the check mark next to it, saying ready. But there is no communication between the printer and the computers.

I have connected the printer to our wreless LAN twice, both times successful.

I have a destop computer, and a laptop. My daughters MAC couldn't get the printer to interface with it prior to the new router.

Advertisements

dandy0850

dandy0850

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sounds like a firewall/anti virus issue , try disabling firewall see if it shows , or uninstall/reinstall anti virus if you do npt know how to change individual firewall rules within your antivirus

slippybippy

slippybippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I disabled my windows firewall and tried to print and nothing. My antivirus doesn't have a firewall option as I'm using Avira free version. I saw on the Brother site how to make the machine online, however, they only have info for Vista, 7, and Mac. No XP. It's here: http://www.brother-u...&R3ID=MFC495CW. I did a printout from the printer and it shows a link with the router. Says it's ok. ??

dandy0850

dandy0850

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was having similar problems with a Brother Printer , after reading many forums with options including going into router settings which showed the printer in devices, The setting I changed was to make the device always have the same IP address (was mentioned in other forums) , Mine was purly an anti virus issue which I cured by uninstalling the AV , reinstalling printer software then the AV. wether this helps u I dont know.

As from your posts you dont seem to have ever had the printer showing online ?

Have seen issues where if the printer enters sleep mode it then does not have the correct IP when it rejoins network if another device has joined ect , Try also rebooting/reseting your router - with no firewall and AV you should surly see your device on your network from the PC.

slippybippy

slippybippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The printer was working fine 10 days ago before we switched to Verizon. we ad a Netgear router prior to Verizon, and had no issues. Verizon couldn't help me.

dandy0850

dandy0850

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
If new router is wireless N try going into settings on router and broadcasting in wireless G only , default access to Verizon in browser type 192.168.1.1 (confirm using cmd ipconfig)
http://www.dslreport...-Verizon-router

Hope that helps as I say I had various issues with a HH3 router, would definitely reset your default setting in your router, broadcast G only and reinstall printer software,

Confirm printer is on network whilst in the router settings - Your network devices note the IP address - Use the ping cmd and attempt to printer the router from the pc

Edited by dandy0850, 30 July 2012 - 01:16 AM.

slippybippy

slippybippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Dandy,

I found out why the printer wasn't working. Although it said it was connected, it wasn't authenticated as the password I was putting in wasn't right even though I thought I was entering it correctly. I put it the correct password, and it is now part of the network.

Thank you for trying to help me.

We can close out this problem post now.

Have a great day.

elvisroy1410

elvisroy1410

• Pip
  • 1 posts

All you have to do uninstall the software and remove the drivers and download the software for the website and and install all problem will be fix I hope this helps and good luck.

Mrs Dey

Mrs Dey

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Dandy0850,

Thank you very much. I had downloaded a new software and it came with free antivirus. This antivirus software was the issue. I uninstalled it and restarted the computer and viola! Things had come to a standstill and tasks were piling up; all sorted...can't thank you enough.

Cheers,

Mrs Dey