Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 17R n7010 Won't Boot, ZeroAccess possible [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
When it asks to reformat the hard drive and return to factory condition you continue and it should do it. If it does not let me know and we will use listparts to delete the unnecessary partitions.

Advertisements

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
After it finished it restarted and led back to the Bootmgr is missing message.
When the recovery disk started I went through this path of choices
-Select other System Backup and more options *Next*
-Factory Recovery *Next*
-Yes, Continue *Next*

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Use Dell Factory Image Restore only as the last method to restore your operating system. This option restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using Dell Factory Image Restore.

Starting Dell Factory Image
Restore

1. Boot from the first disk of your restore.

2. You will get the normal menu of choices.

3. Select the Repair Your Computer. The System Recovery Options window appears.

4. Select a keyboard layout and click Next.

5. To access the recovery options, log on as a local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.

6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.
NOTE: Depending upon your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image Restore.

7. Click Next.
The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.
NOTE: If you do not want to proceed with the Factory Image Restore, click Cancel

8. Select the check box to confirm that you want to continue to reformat the hard drive and restore the system software to the factory condition, then click Next.
The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete.
A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.

9. Click Finish to restart the computer.

10. Once restarted you will have to update your antivirus and Windows.

11. Then you can update anyother programs and copy your data back onto the computer in the proper directories.

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Alright, I have 2 sets of CD's for my laptop. The first is titled Dell Drivers and Utilities which leads to a menu on a black screen that says Choice 1: Run the 32 Bit Dell Diagnostics and Choice 2: Quit Without any action (Return to DOS).

The other set is a set of three CD's that I hand-labeled DELL Inspiron 17R Recovery Disk 1/3-3/3. The first of those disks brings me to a blue Window's themed menu that says "Welcome! Click 'Next' to restore your computer to the most recent Full System Backup. Files added or changed since that backup will be preserved and then copied back to your computer after restoration is complete.
o Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files (recommended).
o Select other System Backup and more options
[<Back] [Next>] [Quit]"

I've seen a screen with similar options to what you were describing when booting from a Windows 7 Pro CD that we have that installs a Window's 7 OS version my laptop doesn't typically use or has installed on it. Is there a way to find the choices you mentioned from the "recovery disk" or do I have the wrong disks?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

The other set is a set of three CD's that I hand-labeled DELL Inspiron 17R Recovery Disk 1/3-3/3.

These are the ones.

o Select other System Backup and more options

What are the other options???

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Selecting that choice and clicking next brings me to the same menu setup with the choices:
o Factory Recovery
o Backup files and folders
o Restore my Computer

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Select Factory Recovery and tell me what it says.

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Selecting factory recovery and clicking next brings me to a screen that says:
Restore my Computer

Your computer is about to be restored. All data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder backup was created, it will still be saved in the location you selected.

o Yes, continue.
o No

[<Back] [Next>] [Cancel]

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Select Yes, continue.

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The next screen said this:
"Restore my Computer
Please wait...
Note: You are not able to cancel this process so that the integrity of your system can be maintained. Please also do not turn off your machine during this process.
Formatting your partition...
Reinstall your original content..."

It took me the two progress bars and the 3 recover CD's as needed. It's now restarting normally. This is great news so far!! THANK YOU :D

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

This is great news so far!! THANK YOU

You are welcome! :thumbsup:

Please update your antivirus, then use windows update and you can do a few at a time. If you do not have SP1 installed do it as one of the early ones.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.