Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD burner upgrade

• Please log in to reply

rayneman5

rayneman5

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi, i bought a Toshiba m40 laptop and i have been burning dvd's however i feel the burner isnt burning up to its highest potention. these are the specs on my burner Built-in DVD Super-Multi Double Layer Drive functions:
Read: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (10x), DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (8x), DVD-RW (4x), DVD+R (8x), DVD+RW (4x), DVD-RAM (3x), DVD+R(DL) (2.4x)
Write: CD-R (24x). CD-RW (10x), DVD-R (8x), DVD-RW (4x), DVD+R (8x), DVD+RW (4x), DVD-RAM (3x), DVD+R(DL) (2.4x)
I am burning at a 2.4x speed. shoudl i be burning faster??
when i bought my memorex dvd's there was a card inside which stated :
[I]firmware upgrade for 8x write speed dvd+R discs. if u currently own a 2.4 or a 4x dvd+rw/R drive u must upgrade your firmware.
My question is, do i have to upgrade and if i do how do i go about doing this?? or is the max i can burn is 2.4x speed?
if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
ok you need to search ( (model of burner firmware upgrade))
try another brand of disc and see if that works

rayneman5

rayneman5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi, the burner that came with my laptop (Toshiba m40) doesnt say the
manufacturers name how do i know wut it is and if it needs an upgrade? i am sorry if i sound like an idiot.. i am not a big computer guy. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
can't help with mode. but did you try another brand disc. try getting an 8x disc. also maybe try the same discs in another dvd burner

rayneman5

rayneman5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i have 8x discs already, they are memorex but my burner is still only burning at 2.4x speed. i think my burner should be burning quicker accoding to the specs on it.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
are they the same 8x discs that came with the card about upgrading. If so try more. First though go with the same discs in another burner see how they work there.

rayneman5

rayneman5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
yes it is the same discs that the upgrade card came with. if the dics burn quicker in another burner thatn am i to assume that my dvd burner is the problem?>? if it is the prob, wut do i do to fix it?? according to my d vd specs i should berning quicker right???