Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unrecognisable hard drive after resetting to default

• Please log in to reply

DelvinGB

DelvinGB

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello there i am hoping you can help me with my problem?....I recently tried to wipe my hard drive and ended up resetting it to default manufacturers setting....It would then give me the blue error screen on start up until i tried my windows xp driver....It does say on start up my sata drives are not detected and i can't reinstall windows until i can get my drives recognised!....Any suggestions would greatly help....I have a Dell 8200....from new...The drive is my original(Maxtor maxline plus 2 250gb sata/150 hdd)...I just wish i had reinstalled windows now....as i only did it because it was getting old and slow! =(

Thanks DelvinGB

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: DelvinGB

Couple of questions for you if I may, have you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS to CD drive first and the hard drive (HDD) second and do you have an installation disk that may have been supplied when the computer was new.

DelvinGB

DelvinGB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Phill....i have not changed my bios and it says 1 floppy drive 2 sata hard drive(not present) 3 ide hard drive(not present) 4 usb cd rom drive. I have a windows xp installation disk and all the drivers.
Thanks
Del

Edited by DelvinGB, 02 August 2012 - 12:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Evening Del

As no HDDs are being detected by the BIOS you may need to do a physical check on them, are you ok with working inside the computer.

While the case is open I would also remove the MBs CMOS battery to restore the MB back to the factory default settings, just in case the issue is/has been caused by a bad setting.

For how to set the boot sequence in the BIOS see the Dell details @ http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom please ignore reference to any other product or service offered at the link.