Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning up PSU's

• Please log in to reply

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

I can find no bios that shows two long beeps. The closest I come is a memory issue.

Well he has had problems with memory as well so tell me do you think maybe the fact that there was two differnt kinds of memory in the slots would make the differents. One slot had a 1GB DDR DIMM.Q and a 256MB DDR 333MHz PC2700U each from a different vendor?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would remove the 256 meg module and just try the other by itself.

This really bothers me:

he was told it was the ram and they took out a 1BG ram from one of the slots and put in a 256MB

Why would they take a 1 gig module and only give him 256 in its place. That is not a normal practice for a reputable repair shop to do and IMHO is down right theft of his property. They should have replaced it with another 1 gig module.

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Is there built on video on the motherboard?
If so I would take out the video card and try the onboard. That could be the cause.
A short in the motherboard could be another reason for the issue. The only way to really test that is to remove everything from the case and bench test by doing the following.

Place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

No onboard video on this motherboard. Did you see the picture of the video card and do you agree that the cap is bent and burnt?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes I would say the cap is shot.
Do you have a spare video card to try?
I still say take that 256 meg memory out, replace the video card and try it then. Don't do one without doing the other so we can take all the variables out of the equation.
Use a known good working PSU to test with and if the beeps happen turn the system off ASAP as it needs to go to the bench test phase then.

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

This really bothers me:

he was told it was the ram and they took out a 1BG ram from one of the slots and put in a 256MB

Why would they take a 1 gig module and only give him 256 in its place. That is not a normal practice for a reputable repair shop to do and IMHO is down right theft of his property. They should have replaced it with another 1 gig module.

I agree and don't know why anybody would do that but this place has been known to be like those shade tree machanics and I myself would never take anything there.

Ok another question here..I have an HP here that I was thining on just taking his HDD out and putting it into that HP, what's the chances of everything he had on his hard drive still being there or would I have to reformat it before? Hey btw I couldn't help but notice your user name is that your last name Shaffer? My maiden name was Shaeffer..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe the data should be safe but with a PSU burning out there is always a possibility of it taking a component with it. Hence may be the reason for the cap in the video card.
Question on the HP is it working and boots up with the hd that is in it?
If so you could put his hd in a secondary and gain access to his data that way. Putting his in as the primary may not allow the HP to boot because of the lack of HP drivers to boot the system.
Yes last name is Shaffer

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

This really bothers me:

I agree and don't know why anybody would do that but this place has been known to be like those shade tree machanics and I myself would never take anything there.

Ok another question here..I have an HP here that I was thining on just taking his HDD out and putting it into that HP, what's the chances of everything he had on his hard drive still being there or would I have to reformat it before? Hey btw I couldn't help but notice your user name is that your last name Shaffer? My maiden name was Shaeffer..

Yes this HP has an OS and everything on it and I'm sorry I am really not that stupit just was not using my noodle there..I know that I could use the HD as a secondary and not lose anything.. :blush: and I will take out the 256MB ram and only use the 1GB to test...Thank you so very much for all your time in helping me..

Hugz
Gizzy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and please don't think I was implying you are stupid but only informing. :blush:
I am going to stay with you till we have a resolution one way or another with the memory, PSU and video card.

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

You are very welcome and please don't think I was implying you are stupid but only informing. :blush:
I am going to stay with you till we have a resolution one way or another with the memory, PSU and video card.

Oh no dear I didn't think anything of the sort..I thought it of myself there cause after asking it hit me..Duh..lol..

OK HP isn't going to work out after all..It has a dang floppy drive and that would be the only connector and it isn't big enough for the the HDD So have not place to plug it into..Hey do you have any Advil...JK...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You don't have to mount it really.
If you have the SATA connector on the motherboard just plug it in with the power also and just it lay inside the case while you access the data to backup. If your thinking is to leave it in then you would need to mount it and is there a internal 3.5 bay free other then the one the floppy drive is in?

Advertisements

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Somewhere in this post somebody ask me the make and modle number of this MB well I found it after taking it out and its a Medion MD500 Ver 1.0

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

You don't have to mount it really.
If you have the SATA connector on the motherboard just plug it in with the power also and just it lay inside the case while you access the data to backup. If your thinking is to leave it in then you would need to mount it and is there a internal 3.5 bay free other then the one the floppy drive is in?

The HP don't have any SATA connectors on the MB anywhere that I can see. It appears that I may be abl to put it behind the HP HD but untill I take it apart I wouldn't know for sure...These computers are to small for my blood..That's why I like building cause you can get a case where your hands can fit... :angry:

:rolleyes: My bad the MB does have the SATA but the HD don't..

Edited by Gizzy57, 03 August 2012 - 09:42 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this in the HP or the faulty system?
If you are talking about the power you could always purchase a power Y to split of the correct connector into two.

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Is this in the HP or the faulty system?
If you are talking about the power you could always purchase a power Y to split of the correct connector into two.

Don't those come with your PSU and or MB? Its not those that is needed though, its the connector where the ribbon goes on the MB that is to small for the ribbon from the HDD and on the HP there is two SATA connections on the MB but on his HDD there isn't any SATA..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so his HD is IDE correct?
If so there is a adaptor to go from IDE to SATA like this one HERE.