Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Copies of Programs

• Please log in to reply

BrendaK

BrendaK

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I did several System Restore's, and one Undo, and now I have multiple copies of my programs.

For example, I have: Outlook Express, Outlook Express(2) and Outlook Express(3); Notepad, Notepad(2), Notepad(3) when I go to Start and then All Programs.

They're not shortcuts, in my Program Files I have three copies of each program and some of the files that go with them.

I'm thinking this might be because System Restore sometimes renames certain files...but I'm not sure.

It's not causing any problems, but it's cluttering up my start menu.

Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
restore does not create additional files....I am confused.

No reason you cannot delete them from the start menu...those ARE shortcuts

BrendaK

BrendaK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
But they're NOT shortcuts. I've looked in my Program Files, and there are multiple copies there too.

Example

I've looked at their properties too, and they're separate files, not shortcuts.

Maybe it isn't restore, i don't know.

[edit]
Ok I misunderstood what you were saying...after reading it again...

Well it's not really the problem of them being in the Start Menu...yes I could delete them....But I really don't want 2-3 copies of each program on my computer. It is not a feel-good thing. And even if I delete them from the Start Menu, I'd still have the programs/files copies....which doesn't solve any problems.
[/edit]

Edited by BrendaK, 04 June 2005 - 05:15 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

It's not causing any problems, but it's cluttering up my start menu.

View Post

That's not what you said earlier.

Was this system previously installed with different OSs?

When you start Outlook Express, say, can you start all three? Do all three have the same email messages?

BrendaK

BrendaK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

That's not what you said earlier.

Was this system previously installed with different OSs?

When you start Outlook Express, say, can you start all three? Do all three have the same email messages?

View Post

What I meant was that it is not causing any problems, but it makes me feel bad because I don't like the idea of having several. It doesn't do anything to the computer, it would just make me feel better if I only had one.

It used to have Windows ME, but that was around 10 months ago, It's been XP since then.

I've never used Outlook Express....but I just tried and I open one, and then the others, but it's just the same one. They all work, but I can only open one at a time. If I try to open a second copy of it, it just goes to the same window the first one opened in. Then with other programs like MS Word, you can open many windows with only one copy of the program, so there wouldn't be any difference there.

Thank you for your time by the way.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i'd feel more comfortable if I could see this....

ALL programs have dupes, or some?

BrendaK

BrendaK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes it's rather hard to explain...

All of the programs have duplicates. But only some of the files that go with it do. Like most of the dll and other files in the program folders don't have duplicates, but the actual program does.