Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD and SSD not being detected

• Please log in to reply

grifenfox

grifenfox

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi. I have built a new rig and i am able to get into bios and the windows 7 installation but it wont detect my HDD or SSD however it will detect my DVD drive. I have tried resetting the CMOS and trying different cables to no avail. It would be great if i could get some help figuring this out. Thanks
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Case: Antec DF-85 ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 850W CPX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Do your harddrives show up as bootable disk options in BIOS? I'm assuming not. Check your BIOS settings and make sure that all of your sata ports are enabled. Also, make sure you plug your SSD into one of the Intel Sata 3 ports (gray), and not one of the Marvell (navy blue) ports. You can connect your other HD to one of the Sata 2 ports without any loss of performance.

Edited by kidnova, 02 August 2012 - 11:58 AM.

grifenfox

grifenfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Nope the harddrives don't show up in the BIOS. All of the SATA ports are enabled and the main SSD is pluged into the first SATA port, the HDD the second and the DVD drive the third. Both the SSD and the HDD are plugged into Gray ports.

Edited by grifenfox, 02 August 2012 - 01:57 PM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Does it detect your DVD drive if you connect it to one of the grey ports? If not then you may have a problem with your SATA 3 ports and an RMA of the mobo may be needed. Hopefully somebody else will have additional suggestions to avoid that situation.

grifenfox

grifenfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah the DVD drive works in the grey ports. I've tried connecting the DVD drive into all of the ports and it works in all of them. But the harddrives do not in any of them.

grifenfox

grifenfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So i figured out that both the HDD and SSD both were DOA. So i sent them back and the problem should be fixed when i get replacements.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
That's just plain bad luck. Glad you got it figured out though.

grifenfox

grifenfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah haha thanks for your help!