Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

website browser goes gray when changing pages

• Please log in to reply

clarky23

clarky23

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I am having an issue with the following website: www.roofingbywilliams.com On some computers, the browser screen will go to a transparent gray before showing the page as it should look. I don't see it on my computers (4 computers in household) but have seen it on the client's computers and computers at various locations. If someone who can look at the site and sees what I'm talking about has an idea what's happening, I would appreciate some insight. Thanks.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Just a guess, but I think what is seen (transparent gray) could be the browsers' default background color while trying to load the page on a "slow" computer because of the flash content. Is each computer seeing the transparent gray using identical browsers or even characteristics in common? Flash content is browser specific and any plug-ins should be updated for them. Also, all browsers must have JavaScript enabled to view your site since the pages have at least an half a dozen script tags.

Not sure if you can correct these if they are not your coding errors:

134 CSS errors
(Seems a lot of these are Yahoo API links which you probably can't correct. The other are youe own CSS and Lightbox)

27+ HTML Errors
This should be corrected on all pages:

"No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8."

Most of the other "errors" seem to be minor and are flagged because of the XHTML 1.0 Strict document type. I checked in Fx 14 with no problem, but other factors with those other computers could be in play (Broadband/DSL/Dial-up connects, computer specs, etc.).

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
AstraNut,
Thanks for the reply. I still need to correct the html errors (and teach myself how), but I have noticed that the transparent gray is only happening to me when I use a Windows 7 system, regardless of the browser. Thoughts? And thanks again in advance.