Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google redirect and pop ups [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tstumo

tstumo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yup did the defrag. That would make total sense sounds like a plan. How do I go about doing that? I also noticed in task manager that internet explorer keeps starting with the system even though I don't use it. When i end the process in Task manager it opens again anyway.

Edited by tstumo, 06 August 2012 - 10:14 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK to defrag

Go Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disc Defragmenter

IE is an integral part of Windows and some of your update programmes require IE although if you stop them from starting that should stop IE

tstumo

tstumo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. How do I reduce the amount of programs running at start up?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Download Autoruns to your desktop and install

Select the Logon tab and remove the tick from all the things you do not want starting with windows... Initially just keep your antivirus selected
Reboot
Are there any programmes not running that you really, really want

[attachment=59466:Capture.GIF]

If so then start autoruns and tick that programme
Is the boot faster

tstumo

tstumo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Downloaded and ran autorun. and ticked and unticked the programs i wanted and didnt want to run on startup. The computer still takes a while to load everything up in the beginning. I'm not sure if it's because of the anti malware programs which might take a while to start. So I'm going to untick them and see if things change.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Looking at the logs you appear to have both Norton and Trend Micro installed.. What is your main antivirus ? As we will need to remove one

tstumo

tstumo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The main one im using is Trend. Norton came installed on my laptop which expired. After it expired I decided to install Trend and it said I could only use one. It asked to uninstall Norton. I thought it uninstalled it unless there's still parts left over on the system.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Gownload and run the Norton removal tool from here and let me know if it makes a difference https://www-secure.s...g=english&ct=us

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
User returned

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.