Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Cleanup for Startup efficiency

• Please log in to reply

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
You can always delete avast and reinstall avira when/if you feel the need. :)

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Also when you get the chance a complete farbar service scanner log would be nice have a good day.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I used Avast a number of years ago on my Windows 98SE which had virtually little memory, 30 megs of ram, so I will follow your instructions to the letter and go for Avast. Thanks for your patience in all of this.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
:thumbsup:

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I did everything mentioned in relation to disabling various HKCU'S and HKLM's, but when I got to final instruction in that section about NVIDIA when I expanded NVIDIA it doest read "nForce 10/100 Mbps", but reads "NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator". Please elaborate the difference if any.

Waynf

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I was suggesting that you uninstall your network driver and then reboot,it is located in your device manager under network adapters.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Network adapters is uninstalled

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Network adapters is uninstalled

Ok did you reboot and carry out the rest of the instructions when you have done everything let me know how things are running. :)

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Also when you get a chance please get me a full farbar service scanner log you seem to have posted only part of it,run it again with all boxes checked and post it here for re-view.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I will be continuing on with the process today. I notice my Internet Call Manager(ICM.EXE) is not there, and also I have lost my Taskbar Toggle for used and unused programs down by the clock.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

I will be continuing on with the process today. I notice my Internet Call Manager(ICM.EXE) is not there, and also I have lost my Taskbar Toggle for used and unused programs down by the clock.

These are not there due to them not starting up with windows you can always re-enable these with ccleaner if needed.But having anything start-up with windows is not needed and totally up to the user=you. ;)

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Cool. By the way CHKDSK ran this morning when i booted up.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Ok just let me know when you are done and how thngs are good day. :)

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
BTW with all this i ended up with Ask.com as my search engine, how do I get Google back as my search engine and also my used/and unused/hidden toggle down near the clock is gone, can't seem to get it back.

Also herewith attachment with screen shot of Auslogics scan

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

BTW with all this i ended up with Ask.com as my search engine, how do I get Google back as my search engine and also my used/and unused/hidden toggle down near the clock is gone, can't seem to get it back.

Also herewith attachment with screen shot of Auslogics scan

You must not have un ticked the boxes in the screen shot that I suggested can you open your add remove programs and remove anything to do with ask.com

Here is a whole thread with many ideas on deleting ask.com
http://www.geekstogo...-for-mozilla-3/