Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build won't start.

• Please log in to reply

samboskull

samboskull

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey all, first post!

I've just built a budget gaming PC into my my old PC's case (Oh lordy did I have a surprise when I found new motherboards don't come with IDE slots...) So, after getting up to speed with computer building since the last one I did was 8 years ago, I bought all the parts and put it all together, turned it on and.. The CPU fan span for a second then died. So I took it all apart, took the mobo out of the case and ran it just PSU and mobo (and CPU and memory, of course) and it ran fine. Put it all back in the case, ran fine, hooked it up to the monitor, all good, keyboard, runs good, and then I plugged my HDD back in, UH-OH, back to the brief start before dying.

So, I'm about to try GPU in with no HDD attached, to find out if this is an underpowered PSU issue or if it's the HDD being a giant turd. In the mean time, has anyone ever come across a HDD that could cause such a problem? It's connected to the mobo via sata, but it's only when the power supply is plugged in to it that it happens.

Also here's the comp specs

Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
Intel G840 2.8Ghz Dual-core
8GB Kingston Hyper Blu
MSI GT 620
Ace 500W PSU

The HDD is a 250 GB Maxtor. I did some number crunching and used a website (Thermaltake, I think it was called) and it reckoned my computer would only run at 220W of power so a 500W should be sufficient, it is only a low power computer after all.

EDIT: It work absolutely fine with the GPU inserted, however doesn't go to the BIOS. I imagine this is because it's using the GPU as it's default port so that is a problem I will have to solve further down the line. So what's causing the failure, my HDD or PSU? The Psu seems to be handling everything fine until I plug the HDD in and then it just fails.

I think the HDD is SATA 1, whereas my mobo only has SATA 2 and 3 ports. But I thought like USB they would work backwards?

Edited by samboskull, 07 August 2012 - 12:39 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: samboskull

Try a known good PSU, while the PSU manufacturers may state a 500W output they are not always capable of producing anything near that, if it was an Antec, Corsair or Seasonic brand it would be less likely that it was the cause, PSU brands to trust and brands to avoid http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php notice the absence of the Ace brand which is a concern.

samboskull

samboskull

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
True, but the Ace brand isn't on the the not recommended list either. Still everything runs fine it's just when I connect the HDD. I'm going to borrow a friends HDD and see if it does the same with that. It's the only way to determine if it is the HDD or the PSU. If it is the PSU, someones going to experience a very prompt return! lol

EDIT: Just like to clarify that I bought the Ace PSU based on reviews I'd read online, the where generally positive. However I just realised that the HDD doesn't spin at all, which is a clear indication that it is a PSU error, right? If the fault was with HDD it would spin before taking dying right?

Edited by samboskull, 07 August 2012 - 01:05 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good idea with swapping HDDs :thumbsup:

Sorry but the one thing that can be as bad as using a known poor quality brand of PSU is using one you have never heard of, PSU database http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Is the PSU at the link the one that you have http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B005FW0Q48

samboskull

samboskull

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah that is the one, good old made in China mass produced turd haha. I just wanted something to get the system up and running before I upgraded it when I start doing some serious system upgrades.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good to see you are not letting the issue get you down :thumbsup:
Let us know how the testing goes.

I have just noticed your edit to post #3 adding the HDD could affect the PSU in two ways, 1. not be able to provide enough power and 2. have a bad connection - possibly causing a short.

samboskull

samboskull

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I would have thought 500 would have been enough to power such a bare bones system. I'm taking it to a friends on thursday, he has loads of parts laying around so we can swap out and test what the problem is.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
It may be a quality control issue with the PSU, was the Maxtor HDD working ok previously.

samboskull

samboskull

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
From what the previous owner tells me yes, but it needs formatting because it's running windows 2003.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
Please let us know how you get on with the further tests of the hardware.

samboskull

samboskull

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay! So I've tested it, and it was the PSU, turns out it can't run 3.5" HDD. I'm running two 2.5"'s on it at the moment and it's absolutely fine, but just one 3.5" kills it.

So, I'm going to return that for a refund and just but a massive 800~ from a reputable brand and be done with it! Lesson learned.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

Yes PSUs can produce the oddest symptoms, a good quality 650 - 750W is more than adequate for the average user and if you shop around you will find PSUs such as the TX 750W Corsair for less than the TX 650W model, give us a shout when you are ready to purchase and we can look for the best deals for you.