Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway PC Can't Find The DVD Drives

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
American Megatrends Inc. P01-A0, 11/17/2009

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I was hoping that I could find the available options on the BIOS screens, but I cannot.
Disconnect BOTH optical drives
reconnect just ONE, check the connection to the motherboard on the IDE cable carefully, if it is near the edge of the board ensure you support the board whilst making the connection.

Connect the one at the end of the cable, to the drive and although that is master, change the drive jumper to master.
Try that please

If that does not work

If you have an PATA - IDE hard drive, and you know what to do, disconnect the optical drives from that cable, connect the hard drive
see if that is recognised

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I did as you suggested with both optical drives ... did not work ... neither showed up in my computer

My brother-in-law brought me a SATA Optical drive and I tried plugging that in and it works ... it shows up in the bios and my computer.

Not sure why the IDE drives wouldn't work

Thank you for your help.

dog

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well thanks so much for posting the result

and thanks for

Thank you for your help.

but despite trying, I regret not being able to make real progress.

It does tend to suggest that the motherboard IDE is faulty, but that would be the least likely.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I still believe it is the IDE controller as I stated before. I'm just not sure why it works in the bios because if it is bad it should be bad there also. The only other option is the two drives are bad. Considering you stated you tried a known working IDE drive and it still did not work makes me think as I first stated.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I tend to agree with rschaffer61 ... it doesn't seem possible for both optical drives to die at exactly the same time ... but thank you guys for all your help on this. My next paycheck will see 2 brand new SATA Optical DVD's in my wife's PC

dog

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The price on optical drives has fallen so you should be able to pick 2 up for less then 50 dollars.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
well, that's good news then ... thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take a look HERE and you can see the prices and selection available. :thumbsup:

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
thanks again for the help ... my wife was very surprised at how cheap those are ... yeah!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and please let us know how everything turns out. Also what I linked to were cd\dvd burners as I suspect that is what you would want.