Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluetooth not recognized by Windows

• Please log in to reply

aspiringstar

aspiringstar

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a USB Bluetooth dongle with which I transferred files from my PC (has got no inbuilt Bluetooth feature) to mobile phone.
Initially when I connected the bluetooth dongle to one of the USB ports, the drivers were automatically installed and further I was able to turn on Bluetooth and transfer files. But after using it for some days, when I connected it to the USB port, the system tray showed a message saying that Windows cannot recognize the device. The device has malfunctioned. Also the blue light of the device stopped blinking and remained static on connecting to the USB port which used to blink when the device was working properly.
Upon clicking on the message, a dialog box was displayed. From there I found that no drivers are installed for the device. I installed BlueSoleil which I downloaded from the Internet but of no use. It shows “Please insert a bluetooth device” although the Bluetooth dongle was connected. It came with a mini CD. So then I installed the set up file from this CD.
Now an icon “Bluetooth places” has been added to the desktop. But “My Device” is disabled.
Why is the device not detected and why did it suddenly malfunction? How to turn on Bluetooth? Please help.

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: aspiringstar

Sorry that you have waited for a reply.

I suggest that you completely uninstall both the device and all of the associated software for the device and then start afresh, much of the time you can get problems with this type of device down to the device being placed into the computer port before being instructed to by the installation software manager, this is not always though 100% the cause of such issues.

Not sure what operating system you are using so here are a couple of tutorials for you http://www.mobymemor...ows-pc-766.html and W7 own method http://www.usconvert...rivers-v1.0.pdf

I hope this helps you get it sorted and please let us know how it goes. Good luck.

aspiringstar

aspiringstar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the welcome.I uninstalled whatever drivers I had related to the Bluetooth. Then I downloaded the Widcomm Bluetooth software and installed it(according to the link given).Now when I plugged in the Bluetooth dongle to the USB port, the driver got installed successfully but still it shows as “Unknown device” in Device Manager and My Bluetooth places is empty and also the blue light on the dongle is static which has been such since it started giving a problem. My Bluetooth devices shows: “No local Bluetooth device detected”.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Have you tried the device in another computer to see if there is any sign of life from the blue activity LED.

For clarification I will break down your reply so that nothing is overlooked;

I uninstalled whatever drivers I had related to the Bluetooth

What about the device, did you physically remove the dongle and then go into the Device Manager and uninstall the unknown device (as shown in your earlier attachment) this is done by right clicking on the device and then choosing uninstall, it is always a good idea when you have uninstalled software and/or hardware to re-start the computer and check that all traces have been removed to avoid possible conflicts.

Then I downloaded the Widcomm Bluetooth software and installed it

Why did you not install the software from the mini CD that came with the device.