Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bought a Lenovo ThinkPad and an IBM ThinkPad from CA state auction and

• Please log in to reply

YeahHuhWhatever

YeahHuhWhatever

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Beside my Introductory post this is my first attempt and I hope I am posting my question in the correct Forum.

This past weekend I attended the CA State Surplus Auction and won 2 laptops. One for a friend and one for my parents. All are elderly and have very little computer experience. Before the auction I talked with the CA state tech who makes the computers ready for auction. He said the laptops have a Windows 98 prompt and are ready to load whatever OS I want to use. He said that Win XP is free from Microsoft. Then recommended I go to the internet and burn Win XP Service Pack 3 to CD. He said it's easy to install, I could do it myself. Now my friends call me when they have computer issue's but I am no way an expert, just have over 10+ years of computer user experience and I know how to use my brain. :blush: So I found the file on Microsoft's web site and burned it to a CD.

I haven't done anything beyond that, basically because I don't want to mess something up. I don't to cause anything that will cost extra $$$ to fix because I did something wrong. Oh the pressure!

I'd like to start with the Lenovo because it seems easier. When I turn it on it quickly brings up a black screen with Microsoft ® Windows 98 copyright 1981-1998
C:\_

I believe this is called the C Prompt? The tech guy said I would see this and to just put in the CD and let it do it's thing. Is that really all there is to it? :unsure:

Thanks so much for any advice you can give.
:heart:

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

He said that Win XP is free from Microsoft.

I don't know where he got this info but Microsoft just doesn't give away a OS for free. This is false completely.
Yes you can download a ISO but without a legal serial number you actually have nothing.

I'd like to start with the Lenovo because it seems easier. When I turn it on it quickly brings up a black screen with Microsoft ® Windows 98 copyright 1981-1998
C:\_

Yep just as the CA tech said. There is a 98 prompt loaded and no actual OS installed.

I believe this is called the C Prompt? The tech guy said I would see this and to just put in the CD and let it do it's thing. Is that really all there is to it? :unsure:

Reference my statement above and to add to it..... YOU MUST OWN A LEGAL LIC FOR XP AND IT CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON MORE THEN ONE SYSTEM AT THE SAME TIME WITH THE SAME LIX NUMBER.

YeahHuhWhatever

YeahHuhWhatever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the info. I don't know why he would tell me that. I will go back and ask around because that was way wrong of him to tell me that. Ok so now I am in a fix. I have to buy a copy of XP?

And thinking about it. What did I download from the Microsoft site? It said it was Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It never asked me for a credit card to pay for it.

I do own a laptop and a desktop, both have legal copies of XP on them. Can I use those somehow?

Edited by YeahHuhWhatever, 10 August 2012 - 12:15 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Ok so now I am in a fix. I have to buy a copy of XP?

Yes if you can find it.

It said it was Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It never asked me for a credit card to pay for it.

You probably downloaded the iso which is fine but without a key they are useless.

I do own a laptop and a desktop, both have legal copies of XP on them. Can I use those somehow?

No because they are already installed on the laptop and desktop so you can't use the serial number on any other system at the same time.

Let me ask on the bottom of the two laptops you bought there should be a sticker with the original OS and serial number. What do they say?

YeahHuhWhatever

YeahHuhWhatever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for all your help so far. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you faster. I took a mini-cation to get away from the heat. It's almost 7pm and the temp is 104 and I have no AC :surrender: I hope you are faring better.

Yes they both have the tags you asked about. The Lenovo says: Windows Vista Business OEMAct and the IBM says: Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU. Both have the Product Key number and some other numbers.

Thanks,
Sherry

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The Lenovo says: Windows Vista Business OEMAct

OK looks like you are going to have find a Vista version now.

IBM says: Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU

Was the XP you got the pro version?
If not you will need to get it so you can use the serial number on the bottom of the IBM to reload it.

YeahHuhWhatever

YeahHuhWhatever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The Lenovo says: Windows Vista Business OEMAct

OK looks like you are going to have find a Vista version now.

I understand and will do this.

IBM says: Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU

Was the XP you got the pro version?
If not you will need to get it so you can use the serial number on the bottom of the IBM to reload it.

I will check the disc's.

I have to buy more CD's, may not do that until tomorrow.

I have a 250 gig external hard drive. Can I make two folders, one for each OS then download the two OS's to that?

Seems we are getting closer to a solution. Woo Hoo!!!!

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

It said it was Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It never asked me for a credit card to pay for it.

I was wandering if you had a link to this site?

YeahHuhWhatever

YeahHuhWhatever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I was wandering if you had a link to this site?

Sure I found it here
http://windows.micro...elp/end-support

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
This is only service pack three.Not an operating system.You will need an actual xp disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now Rockmilk has the answer to why it doesn't work and verifies as I said about Microsoft just doesn't give away a OS for free.
I am still attempting to contact the Tech who knows where you can legally download a OS for free if you have a legal serial number that you have bought or was included in a preinstalled system.

YeahHuhWhatever

YeahHuhWhatever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I didn't realize it wasn't what I need.

I will wait for your reply before proceeding further.

Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I apologize for this wait but I don't want to mislead you to download something that is not legal.
Since you have reg numbers for the system then it is only a matter of getting you a legal copy.