Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 32-bit stopped recognizing SyncMaster monitor

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I will address the points that you have raised individually;

It seems that Acer machine will work for me even though it has only 300w vs 480w for the IBuyPower.

Remember in my reply #10 I advised;

Most bundle providers use poor quality power supplies to keep costs down, this can cause damage to your other hardware but it is often only realized when the system is out of warranty.

As the Acer is using onboard graphics it does not need a more powerful power supply, the computer as it is will do everything that you require of it, if you wished to fit an add on video card you would also need to add a better power supply, for the same reasons that I stated earlier I would do the same if adding a new video card to the IBuyPower computer as you have no way of knowing the quality of the 480W PSU, this is not an unusual occurrence by the way.

Also, it has a VGA connector vs DVI. My current monitor has VGA, but what will happen in the future? I have read somewhere that DVI is the future. Is this correct? Is there an adapter if I'll get a DVI monitor? and all together what is better?

The newer displays made today have DVI and HDMI ports, DVI is the present norm but over time it will be replaced and possibly by HDMI.
Yes you can purchase a VGA to DVI port adapter (see .jpeg below) and DVI is deemed an improvement over VGA when connected DVI to DVI port, on a side note I once used such an adapter and enjoyed many years of demanding gaming without any issue.

i could not figure out what is Aser's video card memory speed?

The information is not available at Newegg so I will look on the Acer website for the details, for now to help you with this read the specs and the information at the Newegg feedback tab, for what it is worth the video card in the IBuyPower computer costs around $50.

If me I would purchase the Acer as it meets the required needs, is a proven brand and it could be easily upgraded in the future should you wish to, for your intended use I do not see this as being necessary.

Meanwhile, is there a way to figure out and fix the original problem without upgrading my current machine?

Sorry no not without making the improvements I suggested or reinstalling XP, the computer is simply not powerful enough for Windows 7, you could try a lower screen resolution and make sure that the Windows 7 aero feature is turned off, to turn off aero, Right click on the Desktop - Click Personalize - Under 'Basic and High Contrast Themes, click 'Windows 7 Basic' and you are done.

Advertisements

sem40

sem40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Phillpower, you're the best. I had never got such comprehensive and fast help from anybody from any help site on internet. Thanks a million. But, I'm not done with you yet . (lol)

Now, when I'll get my new computer I will have to install Office Enterprise 2007, but I don't have discs. I have no idea where they are (we had moved recently), but I have product id and CD key. Would I be able to get a copy of the CD from MS or I would have to buy new copy?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:blush:

For installing MS Office products without disk but with product key http://www.microsoft...fice/downloads/
Hope this gets you sorted.

sem40

sem40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm so happy now. I can't wait to get my new computer.

Thank you.

BTW, nice job hosting Olympics. See you soon with new questions

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Great and please let us know when the computer arrives.

You are most welcome and as ever any questions please ask away.

Yes GB did better than I anticipated and well done the US :thumbsup: