Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Dreaded Webcam Problem

• Please log in to reply

JamaJuice.

JamaJuice.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello geekstogo community,

I'm new to this site, so I thank you for all your hard work.

First off, I want to give an applause to my laptop (HP Pavilion dv9700, Windows Vista/7 [upgraded]) for all the white hairs that it's given me because of this problem. It's been almost a year now that I've been searching the RIGHT forum to fix my problem but I've failed to do so. Hopefully, someone here will give me hand. Anyways, onto the problem:

So, I would like to make this as descriptive as possible. My built-in webcam on my laptop will not work on Skype, Tinychat, or any other software, including Webcam Companion 3 (which is the software that came with the laptop). The most interesting thing is, my webcam will work randomly, but then the next day, there will be a note that appears on the taskbar: "USB Device Not Recognized". Curious, I checked my Device Manager and under the Universal Serial Bus controller, there is an Unknown Device with the yellow warning sign. I knew immediately that this was my webcam. I tried updating the driver. Hmm...everything is up to date. Scan for hardware changes...Nothing. I tried disabling and enabling. Nope. Then I uninstalled the driver and re-booted my computer. What the f***? "USB Device Not Recognized" again? Gotta check the properties...hmm, Code 43? What the f*** is that? Thus started my long journey on the internet to eliminate this pesky problem. But to no prevail.

I also have suspicion that my Windows Update could be a problem. I've upgraded my Windows Vista to Windows 7 last year and since then, everything seemed fine and dandy. However, checking my Windows Update history, I've noticed that there has been major failures on my "Security Updates for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems". There will always be 3 important updates that I complete but it fails every single time. I've tried shutting down the computer and the "Updating...don't unplug the computer...blah blah blah" will come out and it would SEEM like the update was a success. But when I turn on my computer again, the updates are STILL there.

I know that it is not a software problem, but the driver itself. Could it be that the upgrade prevents me from using my webcam? Or could it be malware? I have AVG and Malewarebyte's Anti-Malware and I have attempted to scan multiple times. There doesn't seem to be a problem at all. Overall, I would really like someone to hop on this problem and see what you can do. I am computer illiterate and I'm afraid to do anything with the consequences.

This may be the closest thing that is similar to my problem except that our model is totally different. As you can see, the post is already outdated and there was no solution in hand (I don't want to go to the techies).

Windows Seven Forums

I'm anticipating any help from this forum. So please? Help me? :(

Edited by JamaJuice., 10 August 2012 - 11:21 PM.

Advertisements