Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add USB ports ?

• Please log in to reply

flcracker

flcracker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3000+, with Windows XP Prof. I currently have a floppy disc drive on the front of my tower. Can I remove that and install more USB ports? Is there such a thing? I have no PC knowledge, so forgive me if the terms I use are not right. Would that be called a USB card??? I need more USB ports on the tower, preferrably in the front. THe tower is in a very tight spot, and its hard to get to the sides and/or back of it.
thank you for any info.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My daughter had the same problem and what I did to help her was to purchase a USB hub. It connected to the back into one of the USB ports but the cable allowed the hub to sit to the front of the system. Something like this one HERE may be exactly what you are looking for as you can have it external or install it internally in what looks to be a 5.25 bay like your cdrom drive is in.

Jungledave

Jungledave

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had the same issue as flcracker as far as needing more USB ports and not having good access to my tower.
One day during cleaning, I noticed several empty spaces on the MOBO and upon further inspection, found several to be USB plugs.
Being lucky enough to have old computers around, I cannibalized some USB ports that were not soldiered to the MOBO, and added 4 extras to the front of my PC.
I have an HP with a dock for an old removable component, so I customized a plate to cover the hole and now have my extra USB ports.
You never know what you can do till you decide to try it :)