Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows is not Allowing Updates! HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

paukid

paukid

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello

Windows is trying to download an update on my computer when I shut down my computer but the downloads are not happening. It locks up and even after 10 hours or more, it doesnt download. I cant even go to the Windows Update page. I click on it but nothing happens. Like something is preventing it. This is also part of a larger problem I am having with my computer. I can no longer left double click on any of my icons in order to open them. I can right click on some programs like AOL and Google Chrome and then choose OPEN but most other programs like Internet Explorer wont open up at all! I also can no longer open up my Microsoft Office suite. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint just wont open either with a double left click or a right click and OPEN.

When it comes to my Microsoft Media Player, I can only open my file if I right click and choose "Play on My" in my drop down. When I choose that, it shows me a sub category drop down which shows my Monitor (Dell 1407 WFP). If I choose that, the file will open but will no longer open with double left click! This is very weird!

I am not a computer expert at all but I not uninformed either and really need someone help!

I do not have any Malware or Viruses at all. At least this is what I have been told. I know this because I just finished working with another Geek to Go Helper who cleaned up whatever I had on my computer but this problem that I am having still exists

Here is the link to that topic

http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

thanks for anyone help!

Paul

Advertisements

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Hello paukid. I am SGC.

I can no longer left double click on any of my icons in order to open them. I can right click on some programs like AOL and Google Chrome and then choose OPEN but most other programs like Internet Explorer wont open up at all!

Does this issue only occur when trying to open the programs through their shortcuts?

Have you tried opening them with their .exe file instead of the shortcuts?
If not, please try that and report back.

It sounds like a file association problem.

I cant even go to the Windows Update page.

Are you referring to this page?

If so, which browser are you using?

Internet Explorer wont open up at all!

The Windows Update page is to be used with IE.
However you say IE won't open.

Is your system set to Automatic Updates, or are you trying manually?

A little bit more information would be helpful.

:ph34r: SGC :ph34r:

Edited by SupeR GeekiN CognitO, 13 August 2012 - 07:16 PM.

paukid

paukid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi SGC

This does occur when I try to open the desktop icon. I have not tried opening the exe. file but I will try to do that when I get home in the next 2 hours

The Windows update page is indeed the one you refer to in your post. It makes sense now that you say it that IE and the Windows Update page are linked as both are not opening. Lastly, I do have automatic updates set on my computer. In fact, an automatic update is trying to download when I go to shut down my computer but just "hangs up" and doesnt download no matter how long I wait

Is there a way to fix all this?

thanks
Paul

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
SFC /scannow is a useful command When the SFC (System File Checker) command is used with the /scannow switch, the tool will scan all of the important Windows files on your computer and replace them as necessary.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. pick the version and service pack option that corresponds to your system
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r

when you get to the command prompt
type in sfc /scannow press enter
note the single space before the /

paukid

paukid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi and thank you for responding

I did as you said and went to Artellos to download ARCDC. I picked the service pack that corresponded to my computer (Service Pak Home edition 2 and 3) but then i got a message box that said, "Program is unable to download the required files. This is most likely due to a failed connection to Microsoft"

I am really stumped now!

What would be my next step?

thanks so much

Paul

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try again...I just tried both the exe and the zip and they both worked...
if you still can't try it on another computer and after burning it on their computer take the cd to your computer