Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop crash with bootable CD

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it possible to replace the outlet itself?
It sounds like it is shorting and maybe a replacement would resolve that issue. I know here i can pickup a new outlet for like a buck and a half at most hardware stores.

Advertisements

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I meant the power cord with the 2 pins ;)

I will inform the owner of my apartment to check and revise the electrical home system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I meant the power cord with the 2 pins ;)

That is the end of the cord that plugs into the wall and the other side plugs into your laptop correct?

I will inform the owner of my apartment to check and revise the electrical home system.

I would suggest not just telling him but actually show him what it is doing as this is a potential fire hazard also. If every outlet is doing this in your place I would say it is time for some serious maintenance. :thumbsup:

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
"That is the end of the cord that plugs into the wall and the other side plugs into your laptop correct?" Yes, it's correct.

Thanks for your advise ! I won't tell him about my laptop or a battery charger that doesn't work anymore.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah the problem is you have waited to let the manager know so it most likely will not be covered any insurance.
I say replace that cord and try it in a safe place like a wifi shop or a friends house where you know the outlets are not arcing like yours. :thumbsup:

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

This morning, I removed the heat sink and I cleaned the area between the fan and the heat sink, it was full of dusty.

Unfortunately, I couldn't remove the fan, I don't know yet how can I remove these damned fan.

After that, I could ran a bootable CD and this time, my laptop doesn't crash anymore. Moreover, the fan when running, it makes less noise than before. Sometimes the fan are in silence, and then, I hear again the fan. But I feel the air gone by the vents, that's very nice. :)

About the my power supply, the features are: Output 20V - 90W 4.5 A

My question is: could I choose an adaptor power less powerfull that works for Amilo pro V3505 like with an Output 65W 3.5 A ??

Edited by ramaflore, 18 August 2012 - 08:11 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

could I choose an adaptor power less powerfull that works for Amilo pro V3505 like with an Output 65W 3.5 A ??

I'm not sure what you are asking. The power supply is when you connect it to the wall or have the battery in it.
I think what you are describing is the battery right? If so using something not rated correctly could result in less battery life.
I do have a question though because you said:

I removed the heat sink and I cleaned the area between the fan and the heat sink, it was full of dusty

Are you saying the fins on the heatsink were clogged with dust?
Did you physically remove the heatsink from the cpu? If so did you see if there was thermal paste there on the cpu and if so did you clean it off and apply new thermal paste?

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi,

I was talking about the adaptor laptop power if I could choose an adaptor power with 65W and 3.5 A instead of 90W 4.5 A ?

Yes, the fins on the heatsink were clogged with dust near the fan ;)

Yes, there was thermal paste on the cpu but I didn't clean off. I've not yet bought a thermal paste.

Look at the right size near the CPU, a sort of puddle, I couldn't remove it. It's like it was recover by transparent plastic. Nevertheless, I could remove the thermal paste on the CPU heart.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0572.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That would be nice if all this time the heat was the issue. As far as the thermal paste if you didn't clean it off the CPU it should still make contact with the heatsink. Though not as good as it should be. If you did remove it from the CPU I would suggest being very careful as the heatsink is not going to make a solid contact which will result in temps not being low like they should.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks for your advise rshaffer,

What about the kind of puddle on the right side of the CPU and about my question concerning the adaptor power ?

Do you have an idea ?

Edited by ramaflore, 18 August 2012 - 08:52 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That puddle is probably from the thermal paste that seaped out over time. The adapter as I stated before you may not be able to get enough power through the adapter going with a lower rating like you are talking about. Do you have a laptop store around you that maybe you can ask if it would make a big difference to use the 65watt one versus the 90 watt one?

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
If this puddle was made of thermal paste (it was my first feeling), why I couldn't remove it with my fingers ? It was like a transparent thin film, is that normal ?
Do I need to remove it ? On the CPU hear (in the middle) there is no transparent film.

Ok, I will ask to Fujitsu Siemens Support for the adaptor power.

Edited by ramaflore, 18 August 2012 - 09:26 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You shouldn't have to worry about the film. It is possible it is a protective film on that part of the CPU that is not meant to be removed.
If it is possible a clearer picture would really help me to determine what it is. ;)

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
No problem I will try get a clear picture for tomorrow morning. If I'm to close, the picture is too blurred and if I'm a little bit far away, the picture will be smaller.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have zoom on your camera? That way you can be farther back and get a clear closer picture.