Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop crash with bootable CD

• Please log in to reply

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Do you have a screenshots of a repair or parallel installation to check it, please ? I'm confused about all these Vista OS version. It's dificult to understand it, thanks.

I've understood that for a parallel installation, it's not necessary to format HD.

And for a repair installation, format is forced ?

Edited by ramaflore, 20 August 2012 - 10:29 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HERE is one example.
Do not go any farther then down to the bold type that says:
Here's How:

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks rshaffer.

I also found this My link

I already did a Repaired Installation one times with the Vista Installation DVD.

So, I think the only way is to do a parallel installation as you said.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is a startup repair and not a repair installation.
I have a couple of questions if you could be so kind as to reply to.
What was the original Os installed on your system from the factory?
Is it the currently installed OS on the system?
The Vista cd you got from your friend if I remember right is not the same as the original correct?

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
An idea come to my mind, two months ago, I updated my graphics drivers (Ksod was already on my latop since two years I think) with Windows Update, because the date the update was more recent than the one on the site of my manufacturer.

Even tough, I uninstalled this driver to come back to the previous version and I checked that Black screen was still present.

Maybe it could help, I don't know

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the KSOD's were happening before you updated the video driver then it is probably safe to say the issue is not that. A new driver should have taken care of the issue unless the GPU chip is damaged in some way.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Unfortunately, there is no more update since 2008 on Fujitsu site and Intel site

Edited by ramaflore, 20 August 2012 - 11:35 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
and the answers to post 109?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also I just went through the whole topic and no where have you stated the make and model of your system. I take it from posts about the installation disks you have it is a Fujitsu but what make and model number is it?

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Oh sorry, I've not seen your post :rolleyes:

Ok, thanks. What's a repair installation ?

What was the original Os installed on your system from the factory? Vista Business, french version

Is it the currently installed OS on the system? Yes, it is.

The Vista cd you got from your friend if I remember right is not the same as the original correct? What is bizarre, is that the Recovery DVD is not coming with the factory settings. It's a Vista installation DVD, but I'm suspicious about this DVD. To answer to your question, I would say they are both different. The AIO Vista DVD, can install others Vista versions.

That is a startup repair and not a repair installation.
I have a couple of questions if you could be so kind as to reply to.
What was the original Os installed on your system from the factory?
Is it the currently installed OS on the system?
The Vista cd you got from your friend if I remember right is not the same as the original correct?

Advertisements

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Amilo Pro v3505 laptop bought on 2008

The same features (mine has 120 Gb HD)
My link

Also I just went through the whole topic and no where have you stated the make and model of your system. I take it from posts about the installation disks you have it is a Fujitsu but what make and model number is it?

Edited by ramaflore, 20 August 2012 - 12:03 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A startup repair is exactly what it sounds like. It will try to resolve any startup issues with your installation. This is not the issue at hand as you have stated the KSOD's happen at other times also.
A repair installation will attempt to check, verify, repair, replace and system files, drivers or programs that it finds to be corrupted or missing.
It normally does not erase any of your data but there is always a chance anytime you are dealing with a OS installation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can I ask is there a sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the OS and reg key on it?
What does it say for the OS please?

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Yes, there is a sticker with the key for "Windows Vista Business OEM Act"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
AIO Vista DVD is the manufacturers disk you got with the system?
it may have several versions you can install because it was included with different model systems so they just made it that no matter what system you have the disk would work on it.. The drivers yes that may be a issue.