Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp restore not working

• Please log in to reply

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
sorry but I don't understand your question.

was this posting intended for me?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it was for you. :thumbsup:
What I mean is how old is the system that is having the problem?
The other questions has to do with if the nic in the system is only 10 BaseT it will be much slower then the other system if it is newer.

If you are not sure that is not a problem we can use a program to tell us.

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok, sorry but your reference to "nic is a 10\100 Base T or just a 10 Base T" was unknown territory to me, I've now googled it and see where you are going

straight answer is I don't know so please send program details so I can check

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Many Thanks for your very helpful information, unfortunately this has now given rise to a new problem

In an earlier post I mentiond that I had uninstalled IE8 so to try pitstop I tried to reinstall IE

Managed to download (took over 1 hour to download 16MB) then started installation process

After accepting MS Terms I clicked to install and got the dreaded Blue Screen advising me that Windows had been closed down due to BAD_POOL_CALLER

I switched off pc then restarted, everything works as before but cannot install IE

Tried to run PitStop in Firefox and Chrome but no success

What next?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope it will not work on anything but IE. Even though you uninstalled IE8 the default IE6 should still be installed as it is a installed browser from Microsoft with the OS. That error usually means something is wrong with the hard drive so I'm going to have you check that now.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It appears that the hard drive is ok, I've done both quick and extended tests and both show no problems. The attached file SMART DISC INFO shows the software I used and the test results.

I initially had difficulty detecting the manufacturer of my hard drive as eMachines don't list this info however I eventually found a program which you may find useful yourself. The program can be found at http://pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

This program not only gave me the make and model of my hard drive but also gave me a FULL analysis of my system.

I did a full scan using this and have posted the results as a pdf at http://www.ijustgott...-074DFCC6D5.pdf

The file is almost 37MB and this was the only way I could think of to get the info to you.

Most of the info is way above my head but I hope you will be able to quickly scan it and perhaps (hope) it may tell you what is going wrong and causing my problems. There is a full error log.

Thanks again for your help
Godon

Attached Files

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Who is the ISP please.

2. You say you checked the ethernet cable - how please

3. On Control Panel, Network Connections - what connections are shown please and which one is shown as enabled

4. The download speed is far less, than satisfactory and is clearly the cause of the problem
On a hard wired connection, this may be the cable.
It is unlikely to be the broadband, as the wireless connection is OK and although of course that is wireless to the modem/router, it is then the same signal to the router and from as the hard wired connection is

If it is not the cable, and the only real test is another cable, then it is the network adaptor, or your various settings for the connection.

5. GO start, run, type cmd
then at the prompt type
ipconfig /all >c:ipconfig.txt
note please the space between all and >c:
key enter

then type exit and key enter
Go C Drive
open the txt file with word
copy and paste the actual results pls not as a file that I have to open

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Macboatmaster, thanks for the offer to help

1. ISP is Tiscali now operating as TalkTalk

2. I didn't actually check the ethernet cable I replaced it with a brand new one, I assumed the new one was ok but of course it could be faulty

3. Network connections showing as:

Lan or High Speed Internet
Local Area Connection 3 - connected - Intel® PRO/100 VE Network

4. I agree 100%, I'm not technically qualified but it does seem logical

5. ipconfig text file reads:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : main-074dfcc6d5
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-DC-A1-54
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 23 August 2012 11:09:32
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

If I could add a little footnote -
I have been using my present router set up with 2 computers for about a year now and have always enjoyed excellent download speeds and video viewing on both computers.
About 3 or 4 weeks ago I suddenly lost my internet connection.
I did nothing other than switch everything off, disconnect the router completely, leave for about 10 minutes then reconnect.
Everything worked ok with good download speeds and I assumed it had been a poor connection but, just in case the router or ethernet cable were starting to play up I purchased replacements.
Then, about 2 weeks ago I started having my download and video problems so I changed the router and cable to the new ones I had just purchased but to no avail, I've still got the problems.

Hope you can help

Thanks
Gordon

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. ENSURE PLEASE that you can create a restore point
that is start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore
then create restore point.

Then check please that you have that restore point

2. Download Winsockfix
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

Caution please ensure that it is winsockfix you are downloading -

Then run it please

Advertisements

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Followed your instructions, set up a restore point and downloaded Winsockfix

Tried to run it ignoring invitation to install Babylon, got error message
"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\WinsockxpFix.exe is not a valid Win 32 application"

Tried again this time accepting Babylon and installation progressed to step 3 then got above error message again although Babylon has installed, should I try to get rid?

Did a little searching for alternatives to Winsockfix and came across following:

at http://www.pcmmc.com/winsock-fix-2.php a link listed under "here is an alternative Winsock Fix 2 repair tool" to a tool called ReimageRepair.exe

at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259 Microsoft's own instructions on how to fix Winsock2 corruption. As well as instructions under Method 2 Microsoft show you how to check the Protocol listings on your pc against the standard 10 installations. I have the 10 standards with identical names to the Microsoft List plus several more which are probably third party add-ons. 2 of these additional sections are coded SBLSP, does this mean anything to you?

Before proceding further I would appreciate your advice

1. is there any way round the Winsockfix error message I got
2. if no then is ReimageRepair.exe safe to try
3. if still no is are there any precautions I should take before trying Microsoft Method 2, it has to be Method 2 because I don't have a Windows XP Setup CD (I am genuine just no CD) and cant install Microsoft Support Tools

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Restore please to the point you created.
Please do not run any fix except what I recommend, - I appreciate you have not done yet - whilst I am helping you.

The reason is, I will then have difficulty making further recommendations and analysis.

Send me this please
http://www.piriform....speccy/download

the free one and here is how to send the url
To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

• In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.
In addition to that please go back and open a cmd prompt
type
ping 192.168.2.2
please note if you have 4 sent and 4 received and what please is the time- in milliseconds

then
ping 192.168.2.1
and as above

then
ping yahoo.com

on all check 4 sent 4 received.
and you do not need to type all the results, if all are sent received and time is only 8 or less
OK

If not retype and send to file as you did before

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Speccy
http://speccy.pirifo...Nso3iR4AY5Hry4V

Ping
All Pings - 4 sent 4 received
time 1 ms except for Yahoo which is min 182 max 260 av 211 ms

I'm worried about keeping you out of your bed, what time are you here until?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have signed off I will post by 1800 hrs

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Boot to F8 Select Safe Mode with Networking
Do you still have the problem

2. Go start and from their load Internet Explorer, I think you normally use Chrome.
Do you have the problem now - I now read that you say the problem occurs in all browsers - so you may ignore this one point

3. On the ping command for yahoo.com or google.com
that took the inordinate length of time
if it did return a connection you would seen the ip address
eg. 173.194.34.167 for google, but you need to check what it is for you
If you get that ping that address and see what the time element is, in otherwords you are pinging the IP adress rather than the name server.

4. Open your browser and in the address bar
type that IP address - does that now connect

The purpose is to ascertain if the problem is the DNS - Domain Name server.

5. I have not typed all out fully for the sake of brevity and so that you can follow it easly,
If however the results are conclusive at any stage please post what the conclusion is.
eg OK on IE but not on Chrome, OK on Safe Mode with networking, but not in normal mode on both IE and chrome.

6. I am not familiar with chrome, but on IE you may load that without add-ons - still try this please - although I do not expect it will prove anything
Start
Programs
Accessories
System tools
IE NO add-ons
Try that as well

7. If all that fails, especially the ip typed in the address bar, then it does appear that you have some problem with the various settings -
have you used any booster program or anyhting of that ilk - registry cleaners etc, they are best kept well away from.
- I see now that you have Advanced system care - in my opinion the only advanced aspects is the ability to cause mayhem

8. On Control panel
Network Connections
what connections are shown please, as you I read are hard wired to the router on this computer, but your Speccy shows that

Running: Wireless Zero Configurationthat service is running. If you have in Network connections, both a wireless connection and a hard wired connection - eg Local Area Connection, then right click and disable the wireless connection.

9. If all this fails go to My Computer
open C Drive
on the tools tab
Folder Options.
On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
•Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not typical items. Usually, hidden files are program or system files that should not be deleted or changed.
To display other hidden files, clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box - agree the warning

then open Windows directory and go to
system32\drivers\etc\hosts
then open the hosts file using word and copy and paste that hosts file to your reply
CAUTION do not edit the hosts file

simply close all as normal and RETURN to the folder options and recheck the original DO NOT show hidden files and folders and check the box for Hide Protected operating system files.