Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 reinstallation

• Please log in to reply

authenticxlove

authenticxlove

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I know this is a simple question but I need an answer before I blow $200. Long story short, I need to reinstall windows 7 on my laptop but while moving, the cd was lost. So if I buy another cd, will it work reinstalling the system even if windows 7 already installed by another cd?

Help would be appreciated. :) thank you!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before you spend your money are you sure there is not a recovery partition on your hd?
Can you get into windows right now on the laptop?
If so try this first please.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Male sure the window is open all the way on the top right so I can see all the info it has.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

Attach it to your next reply

authenticxlove

authenticxlove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Er, see, I can't do that because I'm on a guest account. The whole problem is that the only admin account is password protected. The only person who knows the password is my dad, who forgot the password.

So basically the only shot I have at having a laptop that will install programs and work properly is to reinstall the system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can do it the way you are talking about because you will have a new serial number that will only work with the new OS installation disk you buy.
Be warned that you will have to format the system which will erase everything then install the OS from your new cd.
It may also delete the recovery partition if it is on the hard drive which means you cannot recover the system back to factory settings.
Also you will have to probably download all the drivers for the system so I would suggest you get all those before doing the format because you may not have internet access till the drivers are installed.
Download all the original drivers and burn them to a cd or a USB flash drive. Then you will have to go through the device manger to see what ones did not install.
So at this point is there any data you need to get off the system before you do all this? This would include pictures, music, videos office documents.

authenticxlove

authenticxlove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There's not really any information that I need to save, but how do I download those drivers onto a USB?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can't you use the system you are replying to me here with?
If not do you have access to another system you can use to download the drivers and copy them to a flash drive or cdrom so you have them?
If you get me the make and model of the laptop I'll find the manufacturers site and get the original drivers linked for you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Also if the computer is reasonably new, you may be able to purchase from Dell HP or whoever it is a Windows 7 reinstallation DVD
As you already own the licence for the O/S on that computer it will be far cheaper than buying Windows 7 - as a new install with the licence.

Although even with that you will have to perform a clean install as any other re-installation will as my colleague has said require the password

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep a set of recovery disks will usually run about 30 dollars and will include not only Win7 but all the original drivers and programs that were installed on the system from the factory. Forgot about that option so glad you picked it up Mac. :thumbsup:

authenticxlove

authenticxlove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh yay! I contacted Dell and they're shipping me a Windows 7 disk at a discounted price, and assistance on reinstalling it to make sure it works.

Thanks so so so much!! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it the recovery disk for your system they are sending?