Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyway to fix an external hard drive that was dropped?

• Please log in to reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Ok I unplugged the other one and all that is left is the WDC one. I ran a quick test and it passed, running the extended one now. So for it says smart status has passed. I'm guessing it is damaged since its capacity is at 320 GB and it was a 1 TB drive.

Your External USB hg is a 1 tb
Your internal hd the wdc3200bevt is a 320gb

Unless i am wrong you unplugged your usb drive (itb) and are testing your wdc3200bevt drive so it is ok that it shows 320gb as its capacity.

Advertisements

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Try this one first,.

> http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Isn't that just for deleted files? I tried it anyways and nothing from the drive I had in.

Your External USB hg is a 1 tb
Your internal hd the wdc3200bevt is a 320gb

Unless i am wrong you unplugged your usb drive (itb) and are testing your wdc3200bevt drive so it is ok that it shows 320gb as its capacity.

So I just tested my normal internal hard drive the C: and not the WD I connected with the adaptor?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Isn't that just for deleted files?

No, it can find files on a damage HDD, use the option, Deep Scan.

I apologize, as it looks as though I was wrong n identifying the drive set up.

Disconnect the new hard drive from the USB port.

Start Recuva, use the wizard. > click next, >
select, Other, > click next >
Select, in another location, > click next >
select, Browse, a new window opens, >
Scroll down the screen and select the USB attached hard drive, > click OK, >
A new window opens, > click next, >
The Wizard Window appears, > click start.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I can't acutally find the attached hard drive. Takes hours to complete. I did it and of course once I closed it I thought I saw a file from the old drive. I'll have to run it again. Trying to get it to detect the drive so it doesn't take as long.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Make susre you have no other programs running,
Disconnect from the internet.
Exit anti virus and Firewall

When you browse for the HDD, make sure to select the actual hard drive not USB device.
There is an option in Recuvo to do a deep scan, this may get better result but will take long.

When you restart the computer, make sure anti virus and firewall are running.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Still can't find it so I had it search everything. I didn't get anywhere. Over 170,000 files. Naturally I couldn't put a dent in it. I was hoping to find some picture files and recover them but there is so much stuff to go for it be like finding a needle in a haystack if its even there at all. I didn't find anything from the external hard drive so I still don't know if its even still works.

So many random pictures and I don't know way they showed up. Alot seem to be just from browsing the internet. For example one picture I recovered was an emoticon smile face. Another odd thing that camp up was pictures from a game I play Hearts of Iron 2. It has hundreds of not thousands of pictures of military leaders from every country during WWII.

I'm going to have to try it again because my photo viewer was slow and wouldn't closed. So I got impatient and brought up task manager and closed Recuva by mistake with my rapid clicking.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You can search for specific file types.

> http://www.piriform....ying-file-types

I think it worth you reading through the instructions from the left window.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
How are you going with recovering your files? an update would be appreciated.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I havn't done much since. I'm fairly certain it is done for. I'm going to see if I can borrow a friends or maybe dig up my old PC and try it with that. That way I can cut done on the amount of files I have to go through.

If that fails I'll either put the bad drive in a box and maybe one day the technology will progress to be able to retrieve it safely. That or mayve I'll try the freezer trick.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
ok, THANKS FOR THE UPDATE. gOOD LUCK FOR THE FUTURE.

Advertisements