Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting up

• Please log in to reply

Ernest

Ernest

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I boot up I get the message "To begin,click your user name"., but no name appears on the screen. I am the sole user of this PC.

Advertisements

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
If you want a ... somewhat unsophisticated solution... just reinstall it. I dont know and have never heard of this problem, you probly hav backups to reinstall drivers with... but... perhaps you could try going in by safe mode and then add users... i mean i dont know how but if youve somehow deleted or lost your accounts it might work to allow u to get in and create new ones... of course it s probly just a glitch someone else could tell you how to fix just like that. But my two suggestions are workable and if you dont want to wait for better help try it out.

Edited by Destructo Roboto, 04 June 2005 - 11:31 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you start the PC and keep tapping the F8 key right after the beep until you get the options screen, will it:

load last known good configuration

load safe mode with command prompt, if so, try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

If not, try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

Ernest

Ernest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help offered.Have now spoken to my computer supplier who tells me I will have to reinstal Windows and they are going to give me instructions on how this should be done.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you have installed Windows, load the firewall and your anti-virus programmes, update the anti-virus definitions then scan your PC. After this, and if it shows clear, go to Windows Update, download and install all the updates, defragment the drive and set a restore point.

Install the soundcard and the graphics card, defragment the drive and set a restore point.

From here, only load the programmes you will actually use, and defragment the drive then set a restore point before installing them.

Doing this will make it easier to remove anything which has errors.

Hope it goes well