Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new computer, nothing on monitor

• Please log in to reply

prelude4jc

prelude4jc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
this seems to be a common problem here but most of the solutions seem to be hardware specific so here goes.

amd fx-55
asus a8v deluxe
ati x850xt

so.... put everything together. turn on and motherboard+cpu+vid card starts running but nothing on the monitor. i tried changing the cable from dvi to vga and still nothing. swapped out vid cards to one i know that works... stilll nothing. swapped out hard drives with one i know that works... still nothing. cpu is hot and running.

any helpful hints on what i should try next?

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Remove the motherboard from the case and set it on a box (mobo box works great)

Only connect cpu-video card and 1 stick of ram.

See if it will post

prelude4jc

prelude4jc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
figured out the problem late last night. seems that the asus a8v deluxe board (and probably some other asus mobo's) there is a specific slot order in which you place memory modules (duhh). in the a8v case its a1 (blue) then b1 (blue) then black ones if more than 2 memory modules.

but yea thanks your suggestion would have been right on the money =)