Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU performance question

• Please log in to reply

jrdjhnson

jrdjhnson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

New to the forum, and I have a question which I am hoping to get some help with (Google let me down on this one).

Essentially, I am looking to see how GPU performance will affect a CPU (ignoring all other factors)

Phrased a different way... Say I am running two identical systems (Core i7, 12GB DDR3, Win7) with the following graphics cards:

System 1: ATI Radeon HD 3450

System 2: Nvidia Quadro 4000

I am running software that requires 1 GB PCIx16 graphics card or better. My question is - will the underpowered graphics card on "System 1" cause the CPU to spike? Not worried about other performance manifestations, just the CPU's performance. I am working on building a business case to upgrade graphics cards, and our internal tests only measure CPU performance as a factor... I am HOPING, the tests will not successfully monitor the machines because the GPU won't cause system spikes, but I need your expertise to know for sure.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go jrdjhnson! :D

In generalities, no the GPU will not directly affect the CPU performance. An underpowered GPU will not cause a CPU to spike. However, it will cause the overall system speed to suffer if the CPU is not being fully utilized.

You'll often see the CPU and GPU being mentioned as bottlenecks to system performance. Since you mention a Quadro, I'll use a workstation example. Say you're rendering a complex AutoCAD scene. If you're using an underpowered GPU running at 100%, the CPU might only be running at 1/2 of its potential. Conversely, if you had a top-of-the-line GPU, but an underpwered CPU, the GPU might only run at 1/2 its potential while the CPU runs at 100%. Ideally, you want a CPU and GPU matched to their task so they are both being fully utilized, and your render speeds are as fast as possible.

It sounds like your business case for a new GPU is that it will fully utilize the existing CPU(s), and improve system performance in critical rendering tasks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posting your full system specs and the software used, would enable the forum members to advice you on a GPU selection..

jrdjhnson

jrdjhnson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you both for your replies!

The first major hurdle is getting the business case for upgrades approved. Once I get that - I will definitely reach out for advice on GPU selection. Thanks again!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You are welcome.
Thank you for the update. Hope you have success getting approval.