Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried everything and need help - browser hijack and other problems [So

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ackmiller

ackmiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Seems to be working OK now. A little faster as well (like it used to be). Any anti-virus recommendations? RIght now all I have is WIndows firewall (I uninstalled the rest per your direction).

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Glad to hear that everything is OK. Here is my antivirus recomendation:

I have Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes installed on my machine. They work wonderful for me.

Your logs and system are clean now. I'm glad we fix up your computer.

Step 1

Please close all running programs and Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:OTL

:Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [resethosts]
    [clearallrestorepoints]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
Step 2

We need to clean up your PC from programs we used.

Please start OTL one more time and click CleanUp button. OTL will restart your system at the end.

In case that any of the software we used in this fix still remains on your system please delete it manually (Right click on it and select Delete).

General recommendations

Here are some recommendations you should follow to minimize infection risk in the future:

1. Something to read

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?

2. Make Backups of Important Files

Please read this article Home Computer Data Backup.

3. Regularly update your software

To eliminate design flaws and security vulnerabilities, all software needs to be updated to the latest version or the vendor’s patch installed.

You should download Update Checker from here. The program will automaticly check for newer version of software installed on your system.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.