Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer powers on for 3 seconds, then turns off

• Please log in to reply

numb92

numb92

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

I'm having some trouble with my pc. When I try to power it on, the cpu fan, and the psu fan starts spinning for something like 3 seconds, then turns off again. I've tryed a different CPU, different PSU, booting with no ram, one ram stick, two ram sticks.

Motherboard: HP 929 Rev 0H S26
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530/530J

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: numb92

These are common symptoms for the following overheating, bad PSU, a short circuit (possibly in the MB) and a bad MB in general.

Some questions if I may;
What is the computer model name or number (I note that the MB is a HP model)
Was there any problems leading up to this.
Any power outages or spikes whilst the computer was working or connected to the wall socket.
Any new hardware or software added/installed.
What are the replacement CPU and PSU details.
Was thermal paste applied to the replacement CPU.
Do you have an add on video card fitted.

Can you please check that all other internal connections are secure including the front panel header that includes the power on button, check for any damaged wires that could be shorting out and any stray screws for the same reason.

Inspect the capacitors on the MB for any signs of damage such as bulging or leaking, some images to help you http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm

I realise that I have asked a lot of questions but this will hopefully help to identify the issue quickly for you.

numb92

numb92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
To be honest, its a motherboard which I got from a guy at a forum. I'm faily sure that it used to be in a HP dx6100. I first tried powering on the motherboard with the CPU that were already in the motherboard, same problem. I have only installed RAM in the board (PC3200, 2x512mb, 400MhZ). I have not installed a video-card, since the board has on-board video. Regarding the thermal paste, only the dried out thermal paste already on the CPUs has been used, but I guess the board should be able to at least reach bios, even with no thermal paste?

As far as I can see, the capacitors are fine :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the additional detailsPosted Image

My first thoughts now is overheating due to the thermal paste not being cleaned off and a fresh amount reapplied, please see the tutorial provided courtesy of Digerati http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ that said if the MB was purchased at a forum it may have already been bad.

Just a FYI, most modern MBs have thermal sensors that shut down the computer to protect the CPU from frying, this takes a matter of seconds to occur and if the computer/MB has an onboard speaker you also get error beep/s, please note that the above will also prevent you from accessing the BIOS.

numb92

numb92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, thank you very much for your reply. The two pins on the motherboard labled "SPKR" are empty, and I only have a 4 pin-speaker from another case which does not fit.

I will buy some thermal paste and apply to the motherboard. I guess I should also buy a bracket for the heatsink, as the heatsink has screws, where the motherboard only have holes :) So the heatsink is not proberly installed on the CPU.

I will get back when I recieve these items :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcomePosted Image
Please do not apply power to the MB again until you have done the above, I will add some additional information to this reply after some further research on the MB and cooler.

Fitting a CPU cooler to your MB http://h20000.www2.h...9/c00283269.pdf see section 6.14 - page 108

Please confirm that ii is the same as your present cooler, it should be the socket LGA775 type such as the example @ http://www.amazon.co...c_df_B003H04XGC

Edited by phillpower2, 22 August 2012 - 04:57 AM.
Additional information added.

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Just a thought here, this is a basic question so be patient with me :) Be sure that the CPU fan cable is plugged into the CPU_FAN socket on the mobo; sometimes it's real easy to accidentally pop it on a different socket by accident and the result is exactly what you are experiencing. This thing of the CPU fan spinning up and quickly shutting down in the majority of cases is caused by: #1-bad thermal paste or the lockbars for the CPU heatsink come loose and the heatsink is not properly aligned, #2-wrong fan cable connection (described above), and #3-corrupted BIOS settings-set the BIOS back to factory defaults. Wish you good hunting!

numb92

numb92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well it is definitly in the socket labled "CPU FAN", so thats not the problem. I think that the problem is the thermal paste and the uncorrectly installed heatsink, but I will get back when I recieve the heatsink bracket and the thermal paste I ordered :)