Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Fan Error on PC startup

• Please log in to reply

pz3shwks

pz3shwks

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a Cooler Master V8 installed for my CPU, and the vast majority of the time there are no problems. However, occasionally when I start up the computer, the fan will start making an odd rattling noise. Sometimes my computer will detect it, give me 1 long beep, 4 quick ones, and display an error message in the BIOS: CPU Fan error.

It seems this problem only happens when it is cold in the room. Last night I left my windows open, and it got down to the mid 50's. I also recall the fan doing this other times when it got cold over night and I attempted to start it the next morning. I have also not had this problem all summer, until it did get cooler these last few days.

I'm assuming that's the problem, but I don't understand why the colder air would affect the fan. All my chassis fans work fine.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Grease is thicker when it is cold so there is more friction. Also the bearings tolerances may shrink slightly with temperature. If the fan is making noises it should be replaced. Best to replace it before it fails completely.

Ron