Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer powers on, but no video signal

• Please log in to reply

numb92

numb92

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello

I realise that I already have a topic regarding a motherboard, which powers on the cpu fan for 3 seconds, then turns off. This is a different machine, and a different problem. In this case, the cpu cooler works fine, but I get no image on my monitor. I have already tested the monitor, and verified that it is not the problem.

The motherboard is a Asrock ALiveNF6G-VSTA. The problem occured after the computer being accidently dropped on the floor. I have tryed booting with only one ram stick. Still same problem. The motherboard has on-board graphichs, so I have tested on the onboard graphics, altough I tried inserting a video card - the fan on it started spinning, but no video appeared on the monitor. I have also tryed installing another PSU, with the same result.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like maybe a crack in the motherboard or damaged solder points. You would have to remove the motherboard and physically check it for any damage but I'm willing to be that may be your problem.

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

. The motherboard has on-board graphichs, so I have tested on the onboard graphics, altough I tried inserting a video card

I tend to agree with rshaffer; if you want, the ultimate test is to remove the mobo from the case, sit on cardboard, 1 stick RAM and CPU mounted, power supply, monitor,keyboard and mouse attached. Reset the BIOS back to factory default (just in case) and check the CMOS battery is properly installed. Power up and if you still get no POST screen on the monitor, I think the board is damaged.

numb92

numb92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It is already on cardboard with 1 RAM stick, and CPU mounted, altough no keyboard/mouse in, I guess it should still show something on screen? I have also reset CMOS.

Oh, I almost forgot, I have in fact tryed installing the components on a different motherboard, wierdly with the same result :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IS the memory dual mode or single? Is it compatible with the other motherboard along with the cpu?
I would say visually inspect the motherboard because it is very rare that a drop would cause all the components you mentioned to be damaged.
Without kb or mouse you should at the very least get post beep errors if you have the motherboard speaker connected.

numb92

numb92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Its ALIVE!!! thank you sooooo much! The problem appear to be the fact that I only tested with a single dual-channel RAM stick, I popped both in, and boom, it worked! :)

EDIT:

I might have said that too early.. I got an image on the screen, and everything was nice and so. But when it appears that the computer does not always produce an image when booting. Sometimes it does, but most times the screen is just blank.

Edited by numb92, 23 August 2012 - 01:37 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I still suspect a damaged motherboard and that would answer why it sometimes will post and other times it won't. check the actual solder points where the video connects.

numb92

numb92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The problem has been solved, turned out it was most likely a broken RAM slot :) Thank you for all your help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah that is what I thought. A drop like that will not be apparent what it damaged and visually checking it now shows the culprit. Thank you for updating us on what you found. Looks like a new motherboard is needed and then everything should be ok at that point. :thumbsup: