Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC major failure

• Please log in to reply

miroslav351

miroslav351

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there!
The other day, my 6-year-old PC was running perfectly. I shut it down and after 2 hours I turned it again on. However, it won't start anymore. There had been no lightning/ electricity failure/ overheating whatsoever.

The symptoms are as follows: the screen doesn't even recognize the PC (note that I'm sure that neither the screen nor the video card are faulty), there is NO beep, the red light, which indicates busyness flashes constantly and the hard drive isn't spinning. What's more, the CD drive button isn't apparently working as well as the computer restart button. Nevertheless, ALL fans are working.

So, i opened my PC and plugged the hard drive off the motherboard. After turning the PC on, the hard drive actually started spinning. Note that my computer doesn't shut down automatically, since I've kept it turned on for 1 minute. After that I removed my RAM stick and the computer behaved the same way as with it. I switched then the stick to another slot - again no change at all. I then removed the CPU fan and didn't see any apparent damage upon the processor. After putting the fan back on, I turned the PC briefly on, and when I removed the fan again, the CPU was slightly warm - that means it's working, right?

As far as I know, power supply failure will keep my PC off turning on, so the only culprit must be the motherboard. Is my logic flawless? I hope not. Will appreciate each and every reply.

Edit: I have NO spare parts, sadly.

Edited by miroslav351, 23 August 2012 - 01:19 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday miroslav351, Posted Image

Please supply the make/model of the computer.

As far as I know, power supply failure will keep my PC off turning on,

A total blown PSU would, but a partial failure, ie. low volts on one or more rails, could still deliver power, but not enough to start the computer.

Can you borrow a know working PSU with equal or greater wattage than the one you have? If not, as a first step, I advice getting it tested at your local computer shop. Most will do this for free.