Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to Get Drivers

• Please log in to reply

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Do I install it and then copy it to the laptop or is it the same as the drivers where I download but don't install, then copy? Most of my problems stem from the fact that until i can install the drivers, the laptop can not connect to the internet.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Copy the file to the flash drive and then copy it to the laptop.
Once on the laptop then run the file and it will install on the laptop.

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry for the late response. I didn't have time to work on the laptop for a few days but I just figured out why winzip wouldn't install and it's installed now. Im attaching a pic of the device screen. I know that's probably not the proper name but you'll know what I mean when you see it lol any advice on what to do next? Tried double clicking on the question marks to attempt to install the drivers but it couldn't find them even though I extracted them to a folder in the computer. Am again confused lol

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see no picture attached.

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Argh it won't let me attach. Here are the drivers with yellow question marks:

? Ethernet Controller
? Mass Storage Controller
? Modem Device On High Definition Audio Bus
? Network Controller
? SM Bus Controller
? Video Controller
? Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

? SM Bus Controller

This is the first to update. If you right click on the driver you should get a little window where one option is to Update Driver.
You click thta and then it should ask where you want tit o check which the default is the internet. You have to tel it to check a specific locations where you point it toward the folder on your desktop with all the unzipped drivers.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The chipset driver have a Chipset setup Utility Setup and if you click on it it will install the drivers by itself.

After you unzip the driver go to the folder infinst_autol and in there you have the setup.exe to install the drivers

The other drivers should have the same and if one does not have a setup.exe then you will need to install them manually like RShaffer61 instructed.

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've made progress! Now the only ones left are

? Mass Storage Controller
? Video Controller
? Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Still no internet connection though :(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

? Network Controller

This is the one that should have taken care of the internet issue. Have you rebooted since installing these?

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have rebooted and it will connect wirelessly but won't recognise a direct connection via internet cord. Also haven't been able to figure out the last few drivers And windows will not update. Have i wrecked this computer? I've installed operating systems before and I've never ever had to go through all of this.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something is just not right with all this.
Was the installation disk you used a genuine Microsoft installation disk and was it the same as what was originally installed Windows XP home edition?
You said it was a illegitimate copy and does that mean it was different version?
If so what serial number did you use?

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The laptop originally came with windows xp home edition but when my friend brought it over it had an illegitimate copy of windows 7. I didn't have the windows xp h.e. Installation disk but a valid serial number so i downloaded it and burned it to a disk for installation. Is that what's causing all of these problems?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The serial number would be on the bottom of the laptop.
Downloaded copies rarely work correctly but it really depends on where you got it from.

sugarplum88

sugarplum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Do you think i should just find a more trusted copy and do it again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Where did the copy you have come from?
Is there someone around there that has a XP Home Edition OEM you could borrow?