Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless adapter problem

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I installed a wireless adapter to my dell desktop running windows 7. The installation went fine and that's because my wireless network is in the connection list. I connect to it and it tells me that I'm connected. However, on top of this list under my network's name, it says "no internet access". Needless to say, when running my browser the pages do not load. So, I guess something may be blocking the access to the internet or I missed something. Any help or tips are welcomed.........

thank you

Advertisements

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I assume you are behind a router. If so, you are, indeed, connecting to the router's network within the home, but there is no connection from the router to your modem (assuming you have cable or DSL). Do a router/modem reset and you probably will be back up & running. If you aren't sure how to do this post back, it's easy.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
yes, I have a u-verse router/modem. The wireless signal does work using my dad's laptop(using it now)but not on my desktop. Do I unplug my modem to reset it?....

thank you

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

The wireless signal does work using my dad's laptop

Are you saying that your father's laptop can access the internet but that your computer cannot, and you are both on the same home network from the same modem access?

Edited by ranchhand3, 24 August 2012 - 08:39 PM.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
yes, that's my problem. My pc does not access the internet using my home network........

nasiraod

nasiraod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
What kind of firewall software are you using?

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I installed a wireless adapter

Please give details:
>Why did you install a NIC (Network Interface Card)? Was there a problem?
>What did you install; a NIC in a motherboard slot, or a dongle plugged into a USB port?
>Did you install any NIC drivers that came with the card/dongle?

And..nasiraod had a good question, please investigate if your firewall is causing you trouble.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
my firewall is mccafee's.........

nasiraod

nasiraod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
1. Try to disable the firewall then check if the internet is working, if it is then you need to change the firewall setting to accommodate the new wireless adapter.
2. If that didn't work then:
a.Go to network adapters in network and sharing centre.
b.Then press alt.
c.Click on advanced form the tabs on the top.
d.Now you are going to find a list of connections, make the wireless connection a top priority.
3. if that doesn't work then you might have a hardware or a driver problem, and we need more info as ranchhand3 suggested.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I did try similar suggestiions as yours, yesterday, without success. However, I was given another one, about an hour ago. It was to start my pc in safe mode with network and see if my internet connection works in this mode. If it does, than restart and uninstall McCafee. So, I did and now everything is working good.

Now, I have Microsoft scurity essential as my antivirus.........

Thanks all of you for your help................

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok, so your problem was your firewall as was suggested twice in this thread, and you most likely could have configured McAfee to allow your IP address. So you uninstalled a good AV program for no reason.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
no, because I already had McCafee's firewall off and tried to configure it but the problem was still there. As for McCafee my subscription was due next month so no big loss.

nasiraod

nasiraod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I think the problem is in an another component of McAfee Internet Security(I assume that's what you have)