Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dulicate File Removal

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Removing duplicates from K drive only. These are music files that I refer i-Tunes to for playback and that I add new music to.

Thanks again for your help! I will wait on you for further instructions as this is a little complicated for me.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi John,

This is what you need to do:

- Run the program
- make sure you are on the Source Folders tab (normally its the default)
- check the box next to the K: drive and make sure the corresponding box on the subfolders column is also checked
- click on the Search Criteria tab, check the box's for:
  • Size
  • Content (Byte by byte)
  • Ignore ID3 Tags of MP3 files
- click Start Search button

After the search a new window will open and show duplicated files in groups of files by size. You have to revise the groups to check what are the duplicate files you have and decide what you want to do it them.

Now its a more difficult part for me to explain because the program can do lots of things with the files. The main idea is, you need to select the files you want to work with so you can remove, copy, etc, to help in this process if you right click on a file the menu will show several options to automatically select groups of files.
If you move the mouse above the buttons the program will show a description I think its simply to understand what the buttons can do.

When you finish selecting the files you want to work click the first button (which has a red cross) File Manager it will open a new window where you can choose to delete, copy, move, etc. the operation will be executed on all the files you select.
You can select some files to copy, then select other files and delete, etc.

Notes:
- using the search criteria above the program will find duplicated files independent of the file name. If you have to files named "Justin Bieber - Boyfriend" and "Boyfriend by JustinBieber" with the same content they will show in the list of duplicates.
- For normal files you don't need to check the box Ignore ID3 Tags of MP3 files, this box will instruct the program to look at the music part of the MP3 ignoring the ID3 Tags, this is useful to catch files with the same music but with different tags, many times this happens because they come from a difference source, one file have tags and the other don't, etc.

Hope this can help.

If you have some doubts please ask.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
A couple of questions:
1. Is there anyway just to identify duplicates in the external K Drive for a single folder i.e. My Music Folder?
2. Once I have the files is there a selection that allows me to Save a single copy of the file and delete the rest or do I have to open each folder and mark each file to delete?
Thanks!!!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

A couple of questions:
1. Is there anyway just to identify duplicates in the external K Drive for a single folder i.e. My Music Folder?

Yes, on the Source Folders tab you can click the Add button, locate the folder you want and check the box next to it.

2. Once I have the files is there a selection that allows me to Save a single copy of the file and delete the rest or do I have to open each folder and mark each file to delete?
Thanks!!!

Posted Image

Yes, Check the tool tips for the buttons group highlighted above, you can use the first one for example or choose the newest file (3rd), etc. The selection will apply to all the file groups.

Edited by SleepyDude, 27 August 2012 - 05:00 PM.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
SleepyDude, Success!!! Thanks so much for your help on this project! I nominate you to be the Valedictorian of the Freshmen class!!! :thumbsup:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Good. :thumbsup:

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks I'll give this a try after the Holidays - Happy New Year and Thanks!

RicardoMig01

RicardoMig01

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is very annoying problem..and i had tough time to solve this and "Duplicate Files Deleter" seems to me the best solution.