Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Gigs

• Please log in to reply

SeanRC

SeanRC

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright... my computer was supposed to come with 80 gigs (it only has 70...RIP OFF!!) anyways, I now look at the room left on my C:\ and I only have 13 gigs left. I counted everything in the add/remove programs thing and it added up to a total of 10 gigs. I then thought hey, maybe it's all of this music I rip from my CD's so I checked the whole My Documents folder and it was only 20 gigs. Where are the other 40 gigs of my hard drive?! Can anyone please help me.

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have a Norton protected recycle bin?

SeanRC

SeanRC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What do you mean? Norton Antivirus? I've got Norton Antivirus 2004 but I'm not sure about the protected recycle bin thing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is a Norton utility, you will see it if you right click the recycle bin, if it has not already replaced the usual icon. It can keep files in there after you delete them

SeanRC

SeanRC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Then I guess the answer is no, I don't have it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, all files and folders, what size is it, specify a size in kb, if you go into 5 figures, when you release the arrow it only shows 4 figures but it is still set at 5 figures. Include hidden and system files, see if there is anything you do not need.

Large files will bypass the recycle bin so make sure they are not needed.

Leave any files which do go in the recycle bin there until you have rebooted and checked the PC runs

Edited by Keith, 05 June 2005 - 12:33 AM.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
take the 70 you have minuus 13 left minus 20music minus 10 in programs. that leaves 27 missing not forty. When you add the stuff in add remove program keep in mind a gig is techinically 1,024mb not 1,000 even. This could have got your total off some but not quite 27. Also take in consideration that windows in not on the add remove list. Plus if your computer came factory installed with a recovery partition on the harddrive i know for HP and Compaq it takes up about 7 gigs. So all and all taking in consideration all that i would say that you are about at the right amount and nothing is wrong. Windows is not the only program that won't show up right in the add remove. Some games i have show up as only using 10 or 20 mb when they actually take up around 700 or 800. Your harddrive is fine.

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Resize your recycle bin, and your System Restore.

Highly recommended, install Crap Cleaner

www.ccleaner.com

It will perform a thourough cleaning of your system for old log files, etc.