Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Will Not Open File

• Please log in to reply

MadameConcorde

MadameConcorde

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello all,

I am coming up with a problem trying to listen to a radio station from Argentina online - that needs Windows Media Player.
I have updated version 11 - the latest version to my knowledge. I am running XP Pro SP2 (or is it SP3) on my computer.

I get an Error message when I type the name of a file to play by using Windows Media Player.... "Cannot open file"
Other stations work perfectly well.

I looked here and followed their advice - it did not do any good.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234292

Somehow this one does not work. I get the error message each time.
Tried with my laptop (Windows 7) and I get the station to play automatically without any problem.

This is the station url: http://www.la2x4.gov.ar/

I don't know why I can't get it to run on this computer - it bugs every time. I don't know if this bug is common, no idea.

Maybe one of you will give me a solution?

Thank you very much in advance for any help/advice.

Advertisements

NightFury12

NightFury12

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi
The Website you are trying to access requires Flash Player11(mentioned at the bottom of that site).
Click here --> Click Scan now --> put a check-mark next to I accept --> click continue --> the scan will now run and once finished it'll show you the Browser plugins status --> Update all of them (among them you can see Adobe Flash Player also).

MadameConcorde

MadameConcorde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi
The Website you are trying to access requires Flash Player11(mentioned at the bottom of that site).
Click here --> Click Scan now --> put a check-mark next to I accept --> click continue --> the scan will now run and once finished it'll show you the Browser plugins status --> Update all of them (among them you can see Adobe Flash Player also).

Thank you NightFury.

I followed your instructions and updated the missing Firefox things as you said - downloaded Adobe Flash Player 11 - but I see no improvement to the problem.
The file still won't open. All mute.

:(

NightFury12

NightFury12

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi
Download the below files and then open them and open the registry files inside the .zip files, double click the registry files to get them added --> Restart computer and check.
File 1
File 2

If the above doesn't help then Download and install Firefox Browser from here --> then download and install the media player plugin for Firefox from here and install it --> Restart the Browser and then try the site in Firefox.