Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startupfiles

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I was trying to figure out what startupfiles I could get rid.
Heres what I have: [Hopefully someone can give me an idea of what files aren't needed]

Moneystartup
scanregistry
taskmonitor
PCHealth
Systemtray
Loadpowerprofile
hidserv
countryselection
PCTVoice
CPQeasyACC
EACLEAN
Worksfud
Microsoft Works portfolio
Microsoft Works Update detection
CPQINET
Digital dashboard
tour
load power profile
schedlingagent
statemgr
KB891711
trueVector
cal reminder shortcut

Advertisements

Scenix

Scenix

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Type the program name (including extension) into a search engine, find out what they are - if they're junk, get rid, if not, don't!

All I know is do not remove:

scanregistry
taskmonitor
PCHealth
Systemtray

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Found At
http://startup.iamno....com/search.php

Moneystartup/ Not required: Microsoft Money

scanregistry/ Normally leave to run at start-up: Scans the system registry and makes back-ups at start-up. Important should the registry become corrupt. The executable "Scanregw.exe" is located in %windir% (where %windir% is the Windows directory - C:Windows or C:Winnt)

taskmonitor/ User's choice: "The Task Monitor checks the disk-access patterns of programs when they are started and stores this information in log files in the Applog folder. Task Monitor also records the number of times you use a program. The Disk Defragmenter tool uses this information to optimize your hard disk so that programs that you use frequently are loaded faster. Not required - but can be useful. Note: for Norton Anti-Virus 2002 users

PCHealth/ Not required: "This is a "scheduler" and does not turn off PC Health. For more information refer here"

Systemtray/ User's choice: "SYSTRAY.EXE - System Tray Services. Provides the Volume Control

Loadpowerprofile/ User's choice: Power management specifics such as monitor shut-off

hidserv/ User's choice: "This is the Human Interface Device Server for Win98SE/2000/Me/XP

countryselection/ Not required: "Country selection for a PCtel HSP56 based modem. Often found in OEM (Dell

PCTVoice/ User's choice: "The program PCTVoice is used by the modem to interface with your computer and also used for some V.80 functions for Video Conferencing. if you uncheck it

CPQeasyACC/ User's choice: For Compaq PC's. Allows the use of programmable keys on mulimedia keyboards. Required if you use the additional keys

EACLEAN/ User's choice: "For Compaq PC's. Easy Access button support for the keyboard"

Worksfud/ Not required: A marketing program for MS Works

Microsoft Works portfolio/ Not required: The Works Portfolio tool lets you collect and organize text and pictures from the Web or your favorite program.Can be prevented from starting from a setting within Portfolio

Microsoft Works Update detection/ Not required: Checks for updates to MS Works

CPQINET/ User's choice: "For Compaq PC's. Allows AOL and Compuserve to use the Easy Access buttons for the internet. Is not required if you don't use the ISP providers"

Digital dashboard/ Not required: For Compaq PC's. Loads Digital Dashboard options

tour/ Not required: "Component of WinME that's annoying as [bleep]. Pop's up a prompt to play the C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftINTROCONTENT.HTA that plays a full screen version of the WinME product preview Windows Media video file that cannot be stopped to my knowledge until it finishes. That prompt will keep popping up after an install/reinstall of WinME until you give in and watch the thing. It also puts a task scheduler entry to run that annoying thing every 30 minutes

loadpowerprofile/ User's choice: "Power management specifics such as monitor shut-off

SchedulingAgent/ User's choice: "MS Scheduling Agent displayed as a box with a stopwatch in the System Tray that is only needed if you have regular scheduled disk defragmenting

statemgr/ Normally leave to run at start-up: Windows ME default for System Restore. Do NOT disable!

KB891711/ Normally leave to run at start-up: "Installed by the Windows KB891711 critical update

trueVector/ Normally leave to run at start-up: Even if you don't have ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro run at start-up you do need this

cal reminder shortcut/ Not required: Produces a pop-up reminder of events scheduled using the MS Office Calendar

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thanks for your help Scenix