Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office won't open links.

• Please log in to reply

pgebcr

pgebcr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Somewere in the account opening profusion of papers was the same problem as I'm having. A quick look gave the hint that I'm not alone, so this must be a MicroSoft bright idea.
As with others noted Office won't open links. So this must have hapened in one of the very recent downloads from Microsofts Upgrades. My Security pakage of joice is "AVG Internet Security" (installed by my computer guy when we got this new machine) and just recently upgraded. It sounds like various security/virus software are not the problem - Office is. I've done all the setting changes (and there are a TON of them) and problem persists. My computer guy says to "copy/paste" the offending link into the web browser. It works that's how I got here, but it seems like an onerous task to perform for every e-mail.
Any better/shorter ideas?

Advertisements

pgebcr

pgebcr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
In response to my original question: I have been looking through all the similar complaints, and came to the obvious conclusion, that this "link" problem is likely a Microsoft response to malware hijacking a ride on links in emails. It seems that Microsoft software writers are making use of the move to "open link in a browser" for greater security, and expanded capabilites with internet content access. Where the "open in browser" option isn't given at top of address bar, then right click the mouse and "select hyperlink" then "paste hyperlink" into the browser search panel. It's slower and more cumbersome, but a heck of a lot safer. So, that's the way I'm going. Good luck.

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I have not had any problem opening links in Office. It is possible that something got corrupted. A lot of times I see this after Google Chrome is uninstalled as it will not remove the file associations for ChromeHTML from the registry which it sets as the default for all hyperlinks when it is installed. A simple modification to the registry to re-set the .html association back to htmlfile from ChromeHTML is all that is needed.

Let me know if this is something you would like to try and I can create a .reg file that will automate the process for you.

loydo

loydo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
SongCloud - in ref to "Let me know if this is something you would like to try and I can create a .reg file that will automate the process for you."

I'd certainly be interested. Seems I did indeed uninstall Chrome some time ago, lost my spreadsheet hyperlink capabilities somewhere along the line.

Step by step or auto process, whatever uses less of your time. Windows 7 Pro w/ Office Pro 2010, let me know what other info you need. thx, loydo

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
No problem Loydo.

I'll get something together today for you.

Automated .reg file is definitely better as it will allow the changes to be made quicker without having to worry about accidentally messing up the wrong registry entry.

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Loydo,

Please read all of my responses through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.

Step1

We are going to get a good backup of the registry before we begin, just in case something goes wrong.

Posted Image Backing Up Your Registry with ERUNT
Making changes to the registry is potentially dangerous and incorrect changes can prevent your system from booting properly. ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. Compatible with Windows NT, 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 32 & 64-bit versions.

• Download ERUNT
  • Double-click erunt_setup.exe to run.
    • Vista and Windows 7 users will need to right click the erunt_setup.exe file and click Run as Administrator. If prompted by Windows UAC, allow it.
  • Follow the prompts and install using the default configuration:

• Select your preferred Setup language.
      Posted Image
    • At the Setup screen click Next.
      Posted Image
    • Accept the default destination folder by clicking Next.
      Posted Image
    • Accept the default Start Menu Folder by clicking Next.
      Posted Image
    • On the Select Additional Tasks Window, click Create ERUNT desktop icon only. Do Not check the Create NTREGOPT desktop icon. Then click Next.
      Posted Image
    • Ready to Install. The Create NTREGOPT desktop icon will not be on the list. Click the Install button.
      Posted Image
    • Say No to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later.
      Posted Image
    • Setup has completed. Uncheck the check box to Show documentation. Click Finish.
      Posted Image

• Click OK to start ERUNT
    Posted Image
  • Choose a location for the backup

The default location C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\[today's date] is preferred

• The first two check boxes are ticked by default (System registry and Current user registry).
  • Press OK
    Posted Image
  • When prompted, click YES to create a new folder.
    Posted Image
  • Progress bars will show backup status.
    Posted Image
  • A confirmation window will pop up when complete.
    Posted Image
  • Click Ok to close.
    There is a Readme.txt file in the C:/Program Files/ERUNT folder that explains the program if you wish to know more about it.

Step2

Now we are going to create a .reg file to automatically remove the leftover Chrome entries from the registry.

Removal of leftover registry entries after Google Chrome uninstall

** BE SURE TO EXIT FROM ALL OTHER PROGRAMS BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE STEPS BELOW. **

• Open Notepad and copy/paste the text in the codebox below into the new Notepad document:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.shtml]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xht]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xhtml]
    @="htmlfile"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ChromeHTML]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.shtml]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.xht]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.xhtml]
    @="htmlfile"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\ChromeHTML]
  • Save the file to your desktop as ChromeFix.REG, make sure to change the save as file type from Text Documents (.txt) to All Files.
    Posted Image
  • Double Click on the ChromeFix.reg icon on your desktop.
    Posted Image
  • Click Yes to the prompt asking if you wish to add the information into the registry.
    Posted Image
  • Click OK to the prompt informing you that the information was successfully added to the registry.
    Posted Image

That's it! Now try to open Outlook and click on a hyperlink again. The link should open properly in Internet Explorer again.

If you are still having problems or if you receive an error message, please post back and let me know.

Edited by SongCloud, 15 December 2012 - 10:12 PM.

loydo

loydo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Loydo,

Please read all of my responses through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.

Step1

We are going to get a good backup of the registry before we begin, just in case something goes wrong.

Posted Image Backing Up Your Registry with ERUNT
Making changes to the registry is potentially dangerous and incorrect changes can prevent your system from booting properly. ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. Compatible with Windows NT, 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 32 & 64-bit versions.

• Download ERUNT
  • Double-click erunt_setup.exe to run.
    • Vista and Windows 7 users will need to right click the erunt_setup.exe file and click Run as Administrator. If prompted by Windows UAC, allow it.
  • Follow the prompts and install using the default configuration:

• Select your preferred Setup language.
      Posted Image
    • At the Setup screen click Next.
      Posted Image
    • Accept the default destination folder by clicking Next.
      Posted Image
    • Accept the default Start Menu Folder by clicking Next.
      Posted Image
    • On the Select Additional Tasks Window, click Create ERUNT desktop icon only. Do Not check the Create NTREGOPT desktop icon. Then click Next.
      Posted Image
    • Ready to Install. The Create NTREGOPT desktop icon will not be on the list. Click the Install button.
      Posted Image
    • Say No to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later.
      Posted Image
    • Setup has completed. Uncheck the check box to Show documentation. Click Finish.
      Posted Image

• Click OK to start ERUNT
    Posted Image
  • Choose a location for the backup

The default location C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\[today's date] is preferred

• The first two check boxes are ticked by default (System registry and Current user registry).
  • Press OK
    Posted Image
  • When prompted, click YES to create a new folder.
    Posted Image
  • Progress bars will show backup status.
    Posted Image
  • A confirmation window will pop up when complete.
    Posted Image
  • Click Ok to close.
    There is a Readme.txt file in the C:/Program Files/ERUNT folder that explains the program if you wish to know more about it.

Step2

Now we are going to create a .reg file to automatically remove the leftover Chrome entries from the registry.

Removal of leftover registry entries after Google Chrome uninstall

** BE SURE TO EXIT FROM ALL OTHER PROGRAMS BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE STEPS BELOW. **

• Open Notepad and copy/paste the text in the codebox below into the new Notepad document:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.shtml]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xht]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xhtml]
    @="htmlfile"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ChromeHTML]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.shtml]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.xht]
    @="htmlfile"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.xhtml]
    @="htmlfile"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\ChromeHTML]
  • Save the file to your desktop as ChromeFix.REG, make sure to change the save as file type from Text Documents (.txt) to All Files.
    Posted Image
  • Double Click on the ChromeFix.reg icon on your desktop.
    Posted Image
  • Click Yes to the prompt asking if you wish to add the information into the registry.
    Posted Image
  • Click OK to the prompt informing you that the information was successfully added to the registry.
    Posted Image

That's it! Now try to open Outlook and click on a hyperlink again. The link should open properly in Internet Explorer again.

If you are still having problems or if you receive an error message, please post back and let me know.

loydo

loydo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just replied to SongCloud, but do not see my response other than a copy of the message I was responding to. Please delete the posted reply from moments ago, I'll review procedure and try again.
-Loydo

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
You can always edit any post that you make, so if you need to, you can edit your post quoting my instructions to include any other information that you wanted to post originally.

Typically, the admins and mods don't delete posts except for extreme circumstances.