Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't connect to internet in normal mode.

• Please log in to reply

Lauriebrimmer

Lauriebrimmer

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi,

Today after a reboot my Windows 7 PC will no longer connect to the internet in normal mode.
It says it is connected to the wireless hub but then shows no internet access.

In safe mode it connects fine, in safe mode I downloaded Malwarebytes updated it and ran a quick scan, this found 14 files which I removed.

As the malwarebytes database was now up to date I ran the quick scan in normal mode and it found nothing.

I then ran a full scan in normal mode and it found an additional two files which I removed.

I have tried removing and re-installing the wireless USB network adapter driver but still no luck.

I have also tried turning off the Macafee firewall and scanner and still no connection in normal mode.

A ping to the default gateway (hub) or other PC on the network fails.

My Vista PC connected to the same hub and internet connectivity also works fine.

Any help on further steps would be appreciated.

Regards

Laurie

Advertisements

dandy0850

dandy0850

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have seen numerous issues with mcafee recently it seems to have been caused by a recent update, check in the firewall settings (mcafee) and make sure default settings are set 'allow out going' which is the default or better i think its called all traffic. And also port settings which is a tab near the bottom in the firewall settings (sorry from memory) make sure that near the bottom of the list the 'port 80 http' has a tick in the box.

Hope that helps

Lauriebrimmer

Lauriebrimmer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it's macafee it is obviously something that has updated itself recently.

The first of your suggested settings was set correctly.

The port however didn't have a tick in it, adding a tick hasn't solved the problem though.

Regards

Laurie

dandy0850

dandy0850

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Confirm you are on correct network and that 'home network'is selected

dandy0850

dandy0850

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Run windows 7 troubleshooting checker
Select 'control panel' make sure 'view by' is 'category', then hit 'find and fix problems','view all' on left hand side and select 'Internet connections'

See what that comes up with !

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Do you have a Mcafee Antivirus installed?
If so check this Mcafee article and see if it describes exactly the problem you have.

If this is your case you can Uninstalling Mcafee and reinstall (Workaround 3) or simple use System Restore and restore the system back to a date before the problem start.

Lauriebrimmer

Lauriebrimmer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi Dandy,

I can confirm it is the correct network and home network is selected.

Regards

Laurie

Lauriebrimmer

Lauriebrimmer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi Dandy,

Troubleshooter just tells me it can't see the dns server and cannot resolve names.

Pretty much expected as I can't ping it either.

regards

Laurie

Lauriebrimmer

Lauriebrimmer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi Sleepydude,

Although this wasn't the exact problem it was close enough to give it a go.

I did workaround 1 and 2 and it has fixed the problem.

Thanks very much for your help.

I will save uninstalling it altogether till it expires and I install a free one instead :-)

Thanks to you once again and also to Dandy for his input.

Cheers guys

regards

Laurie

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Try as recommended by my colleague SleepyDude

2. If it does not solve your problem and EVEN if it does
in view of this

In safe mode it connects fine, in safe mode I downloaded Malwarebytes updated it and ran a quick scan, this found 14 files which I removed.

As the malwarebytes database was now up to date I ran the quick scan in normal mode and it found nothing.

I then ran a full scan in normal mode and it found an additional two files which I removed.

Go here
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/
follow carefully please the advice and guidance in the link.
Create a topic in the malware forum, posting the requested logs.
Please provide a link to this topic, so that my colleague in malware may easily refer to it.

Please be patient as they are very busy in that forum

The tools you have available and indeed MBAM cannot be relied on to find all malware and/or indeed remove it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Lauriebrimmer

Would you let us know how you progressed please.